Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How does it smell in your sewing room?

How does it smell in your sewing room?

First of all, sorry if it's a dumb question

Lately I realized, that my sewing room doesn't smell like it used to be. Everything is newly renovated. Everything is cleaned - the heater, furniture, floor, everything. It is not the fabric or other stuff, which could smell musty. Then I put on a Potpirie and now it smells softly like lavender. And I like it!

And now, it's just a matter of interest: how does it smell your sewing room?

Blog Entries
    I use the Febreze Set & Fresh thingies with the scent of Gain. It smells so clean and fresh and I don't have to worry having something spilled or plugged in!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Mine smells like a linen closet to me. I light a candle when I sew and leave the closet (where my fabric is stored open) when I leave.

Blog Entries
    I use a scentsy warmer and have lots of different scents. I find when ironing some of my really older fabric doesn't smell so fresh. Love my warmer.
    Evelyn

It smells like the pine forest I live in, with just a hint of daylilies wafting in the window. All natural, not from the grocery store.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    I dislike artificial scent. I open the windows when the weather permits.
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

I never thought of this, but I am going to be adding a smell to mine. Lavender sounds good!!

Dina

I have oodles of candles so I like to pop one in a warmer just because... but my favorite is having my windows open!

I have been told of the possible fire hazard of the plug ins. I avoid those. My quilting room has no smell to it. I keep the room super clean and we don't have pets. I prefer music instead of scents to calm me or enjoy the environment. However, I would not be opposed to an apple pie sitting on the windowsill....

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    I have been told of the possible fire hazard of the plug ins. I avoid those. My quilting room has no smell to it. I keep the room super clean and we don't have pets. I prefer music instead of scents to calm me or enjoy the environment. However, I would not be opposed to an apple pie sitting on the windowsill....
    LOL, I agree completely. I don't like artificial scents, don't have pets in the house, but sure would like some of that apple pie.

Depends on the flowers or candle I might have in there. Only like natural fragrances.

Mine smells like fabric to me, I love it!!!

Earlier mine smelled like burning electrical since my iron fried.
    Never outsmart your common sense.

Karen

well...since i took over my son's old room I PERSONALLY think it smells like a bolognie sandwich. others tell me it smells like my pastor and his wife. ODD. but my windows are almost always open and i have a scensy pot right outside the door on the antique radio. i have heard if you take 2 oz of vodka, a few drops of lavender, and fill up a 2 quart container with water and use it in your iron it will smell really really good!
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

My sewing room has no smell -- unless I am using starch when I iron. I can only handle a few scents so I don't use any artificial smells.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

No fragrances here. I have a cockatiel in my sewing room, and air fresheners, sprays, and candles can be harmful to birds' delicate respiratory systems.

However, my sewing room (formerly the master bedroom) has an adjoining bathroom, and sometimes I can faintly smell DH's shampoo when he takes a shower.
    Have a wonderful day! If you need to contact me, please use the e-mail address on my profile page. Sometimes I don't get notifications that I have a PM here. Please note that I'm usually unavailable on weekends, but I'll get back to you on Monday.

It smells like peach cobbler because that is what is baking in the oven down stairs.
    Anna Quilts

My sewing room is not only the sewing room but also has my computer in it, the TV and the phone..so once in there, there is no reason to rush out.......and the open window lets in the fresh air which is the best scent ever.

Hmmmmm......interesting question.....I would be afraid of burning candles is a room stocked with fabric. I don't care for potpourri or highly scented candles..ESP. Hate Yankee. Driving a nail in my head would feel better than the headache the scents give me. Can't stand dryer shepherds for the same reason. Yea yea I know there are unscented ones. Still a chemical.

Now I need to find out what my sewing really "smells" like!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Mine just has fresh air. I do have an A/C but only use it when I have to. That apple pie smells good.

Mine smells clean, often a little like starch. I do not like artificial scents at all. Since I have 3 dogs, once the AC is on in the summer - it stays on. Nothing like a humid day and a bunch of dogs to stink up the place.

Quote Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
    well...since i took over my son's old room I PERSONALLY think it smells like a bolognie sandwich. others tell me it smells like my pastor and his wife. ODD. but my windows are almost always open and i have a scensy pot right outside the door on the antique radio. i have heard if you take 2 oz of vodka, a few drops of lavender, and fill up a 2 quart container with water and use it in your iron it will smell really really good!
    Why would I waste the vodka in the iron! - I'm more of an "open the window if the weather cooperates" person.

Yes the vodka lavender spray is good but don't waste the good stuff on the iron

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I never thought of this, but I am going to be adding a smell to mine. Lavender sounds good!!

Dina
    I've never thought of a scent for the sewing room. I spray lavender in the bedroom, but never thought I could have crossed the hall into the sewing room. Hmmmm.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Quite true about the hazards of plug ins, also don't like artificial scents. I like to put out a dish of lavender flowers from the garden, also open windows so that I can smell the outside flowers.We are not all so fortunate to have a garden though.In that case you can always use a wax polish on some of your surfaces plus the smell of freshly washed fabric always inspires.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast