Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How does it smell in your sewing room? >

How does it smell in your sewing room?

How does it smell in your sewing room?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 AM

Oh what a great question ...I hope this goes on and on! I love to hear all the things you do to keep your rooms smelling sweet!

Of course, my creative sanctuary smells divine. I planted roses outside the window, which I keep open without letting in the dust and dirt and bugs (just call me Martha Stewart!)

Seriously, the quilting lab in my house - right this minute - smells like
1. fabric purchased but unwashed which has a slightly odd scent
2. whatever was stuck in the fireplace and died but I don't want to move the piano in front of the fireplace and then unscrew the board over the opening to find out.
3. The old books I can't bear to throw out which are crammed into the upper shelves of the closet, right above the boxes of photos and negatives from 30 years of family life which probably also have a chemical odor
3. Old wood furniture and polish
Possible residuals from that nasty spray starch and 505
4. Overheating metal lighting and warm plastice sewing machine
5. Windows closed tight not to let in dust and dirt and damp and bugs. Dying for room a/c but too cheap!

Good thing I am not scentisitive!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 AM

I have an air purifier running 24-7 due to my allergies so no real sent here. Though I wouldn't mind the smell of fresh rain ... it's currently storming at my office, the air is charged with energy and it smells really nice.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM

I have my window open the whole time from as early in the year as the weather permits. So...like fresh air.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:25 PM

Let's see.... my quilting room is in the basement with a dehumidifier running constantly this time of the year, so no damp smells. I usually have a plug in going with whatever scent happens to be handy, usually something light. Like some of the other quilters here, I also share my space with my hubby. Alas, it's not the office space. He is an avid outdoorsman, so the other half of the basement frequently has muskrat or beaver hides drying in the spring or fall.....hence the plug-in! I'm always happy when the day comes to take the hides to the buyer. And it is nice to be working at my sewing table while he is nearby so we can chat.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 PM

I use Mr. Clean with fabreeze to mop and wipe down each week. I use a melter everyonce in a while with lemon grass cubes, but don't leave it on to long, just until I can smell the scent, then off it goes. No dogs, cats or animals no smoking in the house. I'm a smoker but since moving into the new house I no longer smoke in the house, its so nice. Only time I miss it is when I'm reading a good book, used to love to relax with a pop, cigarette and a good book.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 PM

In mine, it depends which end you're in. On my side it smells fine, no fragrance of any kind. On the other side is our son's reloading area and it usually smells like oil.