Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How does it smell in your sewing room? >

How does it smell in your sewing room?

How does it smell in your sewing room?

Old 07-14-2013, 10:40 AM

I guess I need to buy some vodka, it seems to be good for a lot of things. I like to get all these water/vinegar/soda and now vodka cleaning tips.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 PM

I have no idea! I can't smell anything in here, but I don't have a very good nose. It probably smells faintly of dog, since it's carpeted and there's usually one or two of my little buddies lurking at my feet whenever I'm in there, LOL. (Though they get bathed every weekend so I don't think they're very smelly.) Maybe smells a little like fabric softener since I pre-wash everything?

I keep the windows open most of the year but there's nothing particularly fragrant growing nearby and it's a 2nd story room. When the wind comes from the wrong direction it smells like cow manure, but I close the windows quick when that happens! One of the drawbacks in living outside the city limits!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:11 PM

[QUOTE=tessagin;6175045] If I have any material that smells musty, I throw it into the wash with ... vinegar and laundry soap ....

I have recently found the vinegar and liquid laundry soap to be fabulous on anything that smells a little "old" or "stale" linens - and on my husband's "work/play clothes" - in retirement he many times wears them far longer than I would like before committing them to the wash. I find the vinegar and laundry soap to bring everything to a nice neutral and then I add a fragrance sheet to the dryer.

Marysewfun
Old 07-14-2013, 05:37 PM

I prewash all my fabric and that makes a difference. I know this because a couple of my quilting friends don't prewash and their rooms have a slight smell. We were just taking about this the other day. I always have my widow open as well. I prefer the smell of fresh air.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 PM

Mine smells like a sewing room. I am so sensitive to all artificial scents-severe headache, sinus inflammation even with brief exposure. I can't handle fabric from a room where artificial scents or fabric softners were used. I can't go to Joann's, Michaels, our local grocery store for 6 months of the year because of the scented pine cones.
And I would give a friendly suggestion to those using those scents to google the dangers of chemically produced perfumes, many of the chemicals are carcinogenic and there is no regulation of chemicals used to produce scents. They can be very harmful to the very young or very old (me), pregnant women, pets, etc.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 AM

Yikes !! Candles in a sewing room full of fabrics, books and patterns ?? too risky for me ... I worked with someone whose home burned down, when a curtain blew against a candle left burning upstairs ...

My sewing room just smells like linen, fresh cotton ... I don't use an artificial fragrance or anything. Always leave the closet doors open a bit so air can circulate through to fabrics.

Last edited by TexasGurl; 07-15-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 AM

I wish I could open the windows, but too much dust and allergens come in. I see a lot of mention of lavender, and I have it planted all along the side of my house, I guess I should actually use some.

My sewing room can smell musty if I use the steam iron a lot. I spray the ironing board with vinegar at the end of each day, and leave the ceiling fan on.

I occasionally use leftover candles in the cup-warmer thingee. I can't tolerate strong smells anymore -- I had tried putting votive cups with Downy Unstoppables in closets and behind desk in sewing room, but it made my throat sore. Love the smell of those though!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:07 PM

My sewing room smells like old sewing machines. That's because there are 2 treadle machines in there.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 AM

my room smells like the sweet pea flower
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 AM

Like whatever is going on in the house. We have a totally open plan. If someone burns food in the kitchen, it's all over the house. Smoke got in from the major fires. By the same token, I can't and won't use some kind of scent. I don't like them and a family member is allergic to them. I'm using what should be the dining room. We don't have AC. I like open windows.