Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Does Your Long Armer Keep Your Extra Backing Material? Not sure if this is normal??

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    The last time I had a panto done, it required that she go over the side a good bit to do the design properly. Could this be what happened?
    There's really no reason to go over much with a panto. It's quite possible to get the design on without.

Blog Entries
    Hi everyone,
    I don't post much, but read posts....alot! I feel compelled to comment on this thread. I am a longarmer. I belong to 2 regional, informal groups of longarmers, in all quite a good number. We all strive to do the very best job we can. I learned, the hard way, that communication is key. I do not assume anything. Some computerized pantos are designed in such a way that they sew off the edges of the quilt an inch or two. I only trim if asked by my customer. (I have a large studio that makes it easy to spread the quilts out for trimming.) Some backs need to be straightened before being mounted on the machine. Another thing some may not realize, too much backing fabric can cause problems when the quilt is advanced on the frame, making it difficult to keep the top square and even.
    Anyway, please talk to your longarmer before the quilt is quilted. You can ask her to return your excess fabric, but please give her another chance. I am always surprised at how hard some quilters are on longarmers. Remember, we are quilters too. It is very hard to make enough money doing this to risk having an unhappy customer.
    Off my soapbox now.
    Quilt Happy !
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

The longarmer I have used has always returned it. Some don't trim it so you know you got it all.

I agree with Darlene. I am a longarmer also and I do not trim quilts unless I am requested to do so.When left untrimmed it is easy to see why there is not a lot of excess backing left. If it is an edge to edge pattern it will always stitch beyond the edge of the top for good coverage. More often than not the back is not perfectly square when I get it from the customer even if it is 108W backing. I measure both top and back twice before loading. If there is more backing than needed I will shift the top over to save a much batting and backing as I can without compromising the quilting. I too am a quilter and understand how expensive fabric is these days. I will return everything usable to the customer if I am asked to trim. You coud mention to your longarmer when you give her the quilt that you would like to use any excess backing for binding. That way she can put it in her notes and be mindful of that when she is ready to quilt it. Give her another try. I'm sure she really wants to make you happy.
    Sherry
    Sherry

unless I bind the quilt too, I give it back without being trimmed (of course the batting has to be trimmed sometimes if it is too wide). I bet she was trying to do you a favor and didn't realize what you wanted. I have a contract when I quilt for someone and all the particulars are in that simple contract. I bought it from Long Arm University and that is what I use for people who I long arm for. (if it is my church or best friend, I don't bother, but for people who I don't know, I use it)

Blog Entries
    The few times that I did use LA service I got mine back - I never even thought to ask seeing that i own the fabric...and yes there was a lot left over I also rec'd the batting - which I use now for my rag quilts. Fabric and batting is expensive and not trash...yup they should return it with the quilt. No questions asked...

I would email her and say you think she forgot to give you three of the sides she trimmed, and that you need to pick them up so you can use them for your binding. Nothing wrong with that.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As a professional longarmer I send back all the extra trim back with the quilt.

Blog Entries
    always get everything back...
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

Yes, your LA should give you back all your backing plus left over material used for the back.

I first ask if they want the quilt trimmed...and if so, they get all the extra fabric back (If they provide the batting, they get the excess back if they want it...I sure don't, lol). If the customer has me bind the quilt...they still get whatever fabric is left. If they say keep it...I do, but usually in my crazy quilt tote...where I put fabrics to draw from when working on a crazy quilt.

The fabric should be returned in any case. Maybe in her sadness, she just forgot to include it...I did that once...and put it in with the next quilt I did for the person.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
    I've only used 2 LA's so far and just got a quilt back from one of these and she delivered the quilt with the extra backing already trimmed down to about 1 to 2 inches from the quilt top. I made this backing really big so I know there would have been at least 5 to 6 inches extra around most sides. I was given one strip of the backing material but not the other 3 sides?? I had planned on using this extra material for the binding and now I won't be able to.

I wasn't home when the quilt was delivered so I couldn't ask directly about this and she had a death in the family this week so I hate to ask at this time. I know I should just send an email asking about it, but I am worried she either threw it out or kept it and I just don't want to make her feel worse than she does right now. The quilting did turn out lovely so I am happy about that.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

So, long-armers that mention that they trim or will trim if asked, are you trimming flush with the quilt top or 1.5 to 2 inches away from the quilt top like mine was? I will still have to trim my quilt on all 4 sides and the left over will not really be usable.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I usually ask if they want it trimmed and how close. Some like it left on, some like it cut close, some like a little bit left on to make the binding fuller. But if I do trim it, ALL the extra goes back with the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I would call her and say very sweetly When will be a good time for me to stop by and get the backing pieces you trimmed off my quilt? I need it to make my binding. What she says would determine if I ever used her again.
    What a wonderful lady-like way to handle the situation.
    I use three different long armers and none of the trim w/o asking first and all return the scraps. Backing scraps can be used for scrappy quilts &/or binding and batting scraps can be joined and used in wall hangings, tablerunners, coasters &/or place mats, etc.

My LAQ always asks if I want her to trim the backing. If I say yes, then she asks if I want the excess fabric. That answer is sometimes yes and sometimes no, depending on if I plan to use it for something. I can't imagine not being given the choice when I'm providing the fabric. If I elect to have her provide the backing fabric (which is an option with my LAQ) well, then it's her excess, not mine.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

I would never trim the quilt after I have finished it unless I have a request from the customer. Sometimes I have had to trim the back before placing it on the roller as the customer had absolutely too much material, but in either case, the customer gets all the trimmings back, in addition to any large pieces of batting.

Talk to your longarmer when dropping off. I tell my customers that the extra fabric on the sides is where I test my tension and run the machine after oiling. I may use alot or almost none at all. I always give back the extra on the bottom. Most times I don't trim at all, but you may see the mess on the sides.

I had a couple of quilts done by a long-armer, ansd she very neatly trimmed the quilt and returned the excess fabric when I picked the quilts up. This I used for binding the quilts, and what I didn't use went into my scrap bag.
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by needlefruit View Post
    Have to jump in here---as most of you know, a backing needs to be at least 6" longer and 6" wider than the top for longarm mounting. When the backing is so big that there are more than about 4" on either side (extra at the top & bottom doesn't matter), I trim off the excess BEFORE mounting the quilt. It is extra work for your longarmer when the backing is way oversize, and some longarmers charge for trimming; the whole problem can be solved by sending the correct size backing with the top! BTW, when I do have to trim backing, the long narrow strip ALWAYS goes home with the completed top.
    Exactly...its an extra step to trim up the backings before loading them !!! I have no problem charging that fee and if someone does I show them the printed information about pricing !!!

my longarmer doesnt keep anything she even gives me the excess batting back i use the scraps of fabric in other quilts and the batting for table runners purses place mats or whatever. of course i have tons of scrap batting saved up its beginning to get out of hand. but everytime i use a fabric scrap i fondly remember where the rest of it wound up.
    carla m

I wouls consider it a lesson learned and clarify the next time.
    Quilt outside of the box!

I always get both the backing and the batting back. My quilter wouldn't think of keeping the extra fabric and/or batting.
    Lorraine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3