Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does your sewing machine travel with you? >

Does your sewing machine travel with you?

Does your sewing machine travel with you?

Old 08-10-2019, 06:14 AM

there is a great facebook group RVQuilters

I took out the recliners to make my little sewing room with a picture window
I put the machine in the carry case and lay the table on it's back when traveling.

I eat to live, but live to quilt...we are leaving for a few months on Wednesday, I have three quilts precut I may only get four hours of sewing in, but I don't plan to run out of things to sew!
Attached Thumbnails eversewn-cabinet-honcho-rv-june-2019.jpg  
Old 08-10-2019, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
there is a great facebook group RVQuilters

I took out the recliners to make my little sewing room with a picture window
I put the machine in the carry case and lay the table on it's back when traveling.

I eat to live, but live to quilt...we are leaving for a few months on Wednesday, I have three quilts precut I may only get four hours of sewing in, but I don't plan to run out of things to sew!
That is a fantastic set up. I am so jealous! . I think you may have to fight your furbaby for the sewing chair tho'
Old 08-10-2019, 06:25 AM

I don't take my sewing machine but I never leave home without some sort of hand sewing in a tote. My husband goes golfing at different stops as we travel so I like to have something to do with my hands. I love to do hand embroidery so this is a great time to have peace and quiet to enjoy the sewing.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Ooh, that sounds so perfect! And I love to sleep on a screened-in porch. May I ask what lake you visit?
Old 08-10-2019, 06:54 PM

My dad battled Parkinson's from 1998 and died in 2012. He was in hospitals and nursing homes beginning in late 2004. I became interested in machine embroidery in or around 2008. Took also quilting classes. Long story short, I made two queen size quilts in hospitals and nursing homes. I pieced row after row in dad's room one day into the night. Nurse kept asking me if I wanted to spend the night. "No, I am going home here shortly." At 1:00 am I replied that yes, I would like sheets and a blanket, pillow, taking her up on her offers finally. I got all but the last three rows done in that one hospital stay for my dad. I would spread it out over his bed as he was sleeping heavily. He finally woke up, and asked me "is that for your bed?" So he was released and went back to the nursing home located in a nearby town. It had a fabulous quilt shop! I worked on it some more in his room. Well, decided to increase the size so made a trip to the local quilt store, cut more squares. Next hospital trip months down the road the last row or two were sewn on. I called it the hospital/nursing home quilt. In the meantime my mother entered nursing homes and assisted living facilities as well. I had taken another quilt class in the town, LQS where she was located, a pineapple quilt. In 2011 they were joined in the same facility in our city, and a year later daddy passed away. But before he did, one night while he and my brother were watching TV in the day room, I sandwiched that first quilt on the floor, and got it all pinned, ready to sew the rows in water soluble thread. Rolled it up, put it away until "whenever". Three months after daddy passed, mother had a stroke. She was admitted in the hospital for 15 days in the most wonderful room, with an extended area of a small dining table !!!!!, a fold out bed, and actually a restaurant downstairs. Needless to say I rolled my machine in, and the day before she was released to go back to the nursing home, I had not only the rows sewn down with water soluble thread, but had FMQ feathers all over this queen size quilt.

At the nursing home she at the time did not have a roommate and I wanted to monitor her daily, so what better way to do that by bringing my machine and quilt, cut and sew the binding. Finished it. Then began adding on the the pineapple quilt and got it all done, row by row. This story goes on....ditto, quilted it by rows, with a little FMQ inside patches here and there. Finished it in another hospital in 2014, a specialty hospital in another town for wound care. So, I have two batik quilts that were done in hospital rooms and nursing home rooms. Thanks to rolling totes!
Old 08-10-2019, 07:06 PM

What a great way to turn what could have been completely horrible times into a time that could include something partially stress relieving and positive.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:48 PM

Well the story is still going on today. My mother is still living at 93 but with many health issues. This year, the entire month of February she returned to the small town where she was in the specialty hospital, Luling, TX. They are so accommodating to family members of the patient. Mother's sacral pressure wound had reopened and she was there from the night of Jan. 30 through March 1, 2019. They rolled in a cot for me to sleep on in her room. The maintenance guy even dug up for me from a vacant office a table on which I could set my machine to sew. I finished a tote bag, photo attached, for my 2nd cousin in San Antonio who teaches first grade. Not to mention, since mother was there in Aug of 2014, the town now has an amazing quilt shop, Holly Dee's Quilts. Made a few visits there as well!

Now that mother has been back since March 1, I have used her night stand in her room, upon which my MacAir is on as I type right now, but am i the process of cutting strips for another quilt. I just roll in every afternoon things to occupy with while here and she seems to always feel more comfortable and happier when I am with her. I use a rotating cutting mat and away I go. Don't really have much more to cut, actually.
Attached Thumbnails img_20190221_212552.jpg  

Last edited by vschieve; 08-10-2019 at 07:55 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 08-15-2019, 07:33 AM

I take my machine every time I can … we usually travel in a trailer so it isn't too difficult. I usually prep a project and either cut out a quilt, handwork, or sew something I have prepped. I love it … no disturbances!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-15-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps