Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doily  quilt? >

Doily quilt?

Doily quilt?

Old 07-14-2007, 04:57 AM

Please don't cut them. Just as you put in hours and hours to make your quilt/s, so did this artist to make the doilies.

After you make your quilt, you can french knot them on the quilt in any random order you choose. I have done this to mine and they look lovely.

Just a thought. Thank you. :D
Old 07-14-2007, 06:20 AM

As a crocheter, I have to agree with not cutting them. Most are a work of art that took hours to crochet.
When I was nine my father died so I directed my fatherly feelings toward my BIL that had just returned from the war.
I crocheted around white linen for my sister's vanity that had the dropped down center piece. I made one oval for the center and two rounds for the ends. I was so proud of what I had done.
A few weeks later I was at their house and there was my BIL with his foot on a stool, shining his shoes with the oval piece.
Need I say my nine year old heart was broken?
I am now almost 72 and the memory still hurts.
We show our love when we make something by hand for someone. When they trash what we have made in love, it is the same as trashing our hearts.
Forgive me if this too personal.
Joyce Raab
Old 07-14-2007, 06:42 AM

Joyce:
I agree with everything you wrote! You said it all beautifully. Shame on your uncle. Poor old duffus probably never knew or realized he broke your heart but my guess is he did it out of ignorance, not malice.

I have always preferred a "homemade" gift to a store bought and I try to give homemade for almost every occasion. Yes, I too have seen my own works of art not very appreciated and I've felt bad. Then when I see a gift I've made that is well loved and well used I feel good and think that one well loved one makes up for the ones that weren't. Thanks for sharing.

Feathers
Old 09-24-2011, 02:41 AM

Can you give us the url for Attic Treasures quilt?

Originally Posted by Marybeth
Took the advice to Google search and found an awesome pattern on the Mc Calls website called Attic Treasures where you stitch the hankies on to 14' squares and use sashing to set them on edge. Very pretty :) Marybeth
Old 09-24-2011, 03:23 AM

I bought a pattern at the Quilt Market in Salt Lake City this spring called, "Treasured." I fell in love with the quilt the minute I saw it!!! You can go here to see the pattern:

http://www.quiltsoupblog.com

As of right now, the quilt is shown in the blog in the 7th post down. Look at the close-up picture of the flower block. The quilt that was at the show had the white flower attached to a doily and then attached the doily to the quilt instead of attaching the white flower to the peach (pink?) circle like it shows in the picture. The flower only allows about 1/2" of the doily to show but it outlines around the flower so beautifully! I wish you could have seen the fabrics used! They were amazing! In person the quilt looked sort of antique because of the fabric used and the doilies behind each flower. Kind of like something you would find in Grandma's old cedar chest! I'm so jealous of how many doilies each of you have!!! Unfortunately, when I get around to making this quilt (after I find the perfect fabric) I'll have to buy my doilies because I don't know how to crochet. Maybe I can try some yard sales or something like that???
Old 09-24-2011, 03:26 AM
Banned

There was a book published a few years ago about using the doilies. Can't remember the author's name but do a search and it might come up. The author worked extensively with doilies.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:29 AM
Banned

see post under "frankie-louise" of Sept 24.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:31 AM

very pretty ideas