Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doing a craft fair! >

Doing a craft fair!

Doing a craft fair!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by burnsk
Do you have business cards just in case someone wants to contact you later, maybe to order a BB quilt or table runner or get a quilt kit? Whenever I see something I like at a craft show, I always write on the back of the vendors card what it was they were selling and why I liked it so I know which vendor they were.
yep got my stack of business cards already! :-0
Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 AM

dear Mrsj82
Your prices look good. It seems that I'm in the same price range as you are on some of your items and I do make a profit. Not a large one but I now have a large following of customers that seek me out for custom orders. This is where the real money is, by the way. My prices are fair and it keeps us doing business. We have actually taken the profits from 2 years of shows (total of 8 shows) and went to Hawaii for 9 days. So go for it, be positive and ready to make mass quantities of things. ;0)
Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 AM

I have always wanted to do a craft fair, but have never known how to determine the price of items. Is there a special way to determine what you should charge?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:55 AM

I do craft fairs with my daughter every year. My best seller this last year was casserole carriers made from 2 placemats and oven door towels
Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 AM

Dear Polly13
A few general rules need to be understood and have been used by many of my crafting friends and myself over the years;
1) You have to love doing what you are doing - be it selling and/or making a product.
2) You need to understand that at first you will not get paid for the time you invested in making one item. With time you will be able to, as you perfect your system/time in making an item. If the work is quality - customers are intelligent and know what they like. With time and as you start to do custom orders these customers know the value of your time and will have no problem paying you for that time.
3) To start out - take all the materials it takes to make one item multiply that figure by 3 - that's the formula I have used for years with lots of success.
I also round things up to the nearest dollar. It does make life a bit easier to start with. Once again with time you will decide what works best for you.
Many shows require it and I am a licensed business and account for my taxes to local and state agencies. But I have always rounded my price tags up to the nearest dollar and back the taxes out when I go to pay them. This makes the customer very happy. Dealing with change at craftshows can make or break a purchase, this I know for a fact. I've have seen customers that were sincerely interested in an item say No because they didn't want or have the money to pay for the item once it's taxed. In some cases, they have actually expressed their thoughts on not having to pay taxes at a craftshow. Some will never see us as legitimate businesses but for the most part, many of us are.
Hope that helps.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Lots of great input here!!! I also have done craft fairs for about 25 yrs. As some have said, don't expect to be paid for your time. You will find that some things you will make a decent profit on, and others you may wonder why you bothered. My biggest mainstay is a knitted baby "bomber" hat. I KNOW I am not making even 10 cents/hour on these. I don't mind because to me they are "found" money. I never sit without picking up my knitting needles, so time in front of the boob-tube, lunch break at work, etc., the needles are always going. It's amazing how many hats I turn out in a year...and they always sell out!! I rarely bring home more than one or two!!! People keep having babies, and I am now known for these hats, so am sought out. Once you get known, people will look for you and your sales will get better each year.
Another good seller is purses. Most women like to have something a little different....so why not make something different? ;) They make up fairly quickly, and can help to bring people to your booth if you can display an especially attractive one up higher to catch peoples eyes. I make everything from everyday purses to evening bags to beach bags....and they all sell.
Good luck...and most of all, have fun!!!!!

Patti
Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 PM

I have done shows for years, lately people are buying "useful" items...placemats, tablerunners, aprons, tablecloths...they really like the quilted ones! I have found a LOT of people don't or can't sew...Good luck, wish I was closer!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 PM

I don't know what your craft of choice is but lots of people are buying more fabric postcards cuz they aren't as expensive as some items and they are unique to the general public.

For the artist, they are fast and easy to make in various themes etc.

Best of luck!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 03-18-2010, 02:25 PM

I am not planning on doing a craft show, but I believe I could after reading all these suggestions! It was really fun to read what you all had to share about craft shows!
Rachel
Old 03-18-2010, 02:37 PM

Covered Threads,
Thank you for such a clear explanation for getting started. There certainly is a lot to think of before jumping in, but I especially like your tax method.