Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Doing good in one area but not in another

I managed to go one month without buying any fabric - that's an accomplishment - just keep telling myself I need to save my money for the Dewing Expo coming in March.

Well today I looked at my WIP (about 10 quilt tops done but need quilting which I hate to do).

Then I looked at all the "kits" or "bundles" of fabric that I've bought over the past few years - many of those just sitting there all nicely bundled.

And of course, there the "stash" of fabric and patterns and books sitting on the shelves nice and neat.

But I'm just not in the mood to do anything -- I need motivation. There are days I actually unplug the computer so I won't be on it all day, but apparently that's not helping either. I have a list a mile long "in my head" of all the things I want to do and I have the time and the materials to do them, just don't know why I can't get "kick started".

Does any one else have this problem or solution.

I am wasting my days and that's not too smart.

Karen

Blog Entries
    some times it takes making something small (instant gratification) to get the creative juices flowing again, but don't be too hard on your self...it is a commen ailment for the month after the holidays...the winter is dreary, the holiday---rush=== is over and it is just time to....well, you know...but go make something small, done in a couple hours, like a new tote bag maybe decorate a sweatshirt.

Call a quilting friend. Maybe you two could swap projects. You do something she doesnt like to do and vice versa.

Or try doing something a different way. Like the poster who cut the D9P on the diagonal or do a project PP'd.

If you cant buy any new fabric, can you swap a kit with somebody so you have something different to work on? That's not technically buying!

Blog Entries
    I know how you feel. But somethime you just have to make yourself sew something and before you know it you got your grove back :lol: :lol: YOU CAN DO IT :thumbup:

I've been in a slump several times and this is what works for me. I usually give it a little bit of time, then I just make myself pick up a project, figure out what needs to be done, and then finish it. Usually it doesn't take long to finish and then I pick another one and so on. After a project or two I'm back into the quilting mood. One time I made a list of my UFO's and then asked my DH to pick a number between 1 and 10 and whichever number he picked, I finished it.

i joined the block of the month swap and the doll quilt swap, it keeps me sewing when i am not feeling up to it, gotta fill my obligations, and i find myself really enjoying it. When Steelers won, i made my neice a tote of their fabric, and it got me wantting to sew more, so i started a 4 patch posie, i love making it, each block is so different. Hopefully something will inspire you.

Blog Entries
    you can do it, we will motivate you to get back into sewing and quilting, work on a small project, good luck

I suggested earlier to someone else that you make out a list of your kits and pick the one that will be done the quickest! You'll get your mojo back in no time! =)

Blog Entries
    Write yourself a list. Put down everything you have to do, then when it's done, cross it out. That will make you feel better, even if it is "run to the bathroom and shut the door before the dogs/cats try to get in with me" and then you can mark it off and feel good about yourself.

On second thought, knowing how fast my Koko the cat is, maybe you should just write down "run to the bathroom and shut the door on the cats/dogs when they run ahead of you and go have a candy bar."
    Then you'll feel better after eating it and marking it off your list.

This time of year is always tough for me. I am finally starting to work on simple projects and finish UFO's from the holiday to get back in gear. It took me almost all month to get where I am at!

Oh my I thought I was the only one that had a pain in the neck at times pet. Everytime I go to the bathroom my dogs (2 Havanese) think that they have to go outside. There are times that I actually "sneak" to the upstairs master bath and close both the doors so they won't know - and I'm 58 years old !?!

I am determined to start something tomorrow. Thanks for the encouragement ladies.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Write yourself a list. Put down everything you have to do, then when it's done, cross it out. That will make you feel better, even if it is "run to the bathroom and shut the door before the dogs/cats try to get in with me" and then you can mark it off and feel good about yourself.

On second thought, knowing how fast my Koko the cat is, maybe you should just write down "run to the bathroom and shut the door on the cats/dogs when they run ahead of you and go have a candy bar."

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd

I love it!

Blog Entries
    I just looked at one of my oldest photo albums and found 16 tops still unfinished. 10 years ago!! now that's bad!!

Blog Entries
    I have a Border Collie mix who thinks I don't know where the bathroom is. The minute I reach for the snaps on my jeans, she shows me the way.

Who needs a lap quilt, mug rug or a table runner? There must be someone whose life you can brighten with a handmade gift.

Buy a sun lamp. That's been one of my best purchases ever.

I'm guilty!

To get me wanting to sew I try to take 15 minutes a day and sew a block, sometimes I end up in my room for 2 hours and I get so much more done.

find a local charity that accepts quilts. giving does a lot for my spirits. I always get more in return!! Hugs and love go along way to make a soul warm! Finish a project and donate it. then perhaps your creativity will get a well earned lift. God bless and remember Jesus Loves you!

Just sew or quilt for 10-15 minutes,set the time, then go something else, next day the same thing and pretty soon you'll be in the groove again and if you work on something small, you'll have a completed projects, maybe start with one of those "kits".

yep, yep. yep

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Oh are you going to the Expo in Cleveland? I'm going too - also to the vedor weekend at the quilt show at Lake Farmpark in Kirtland. So I'm saving my moolah too. ;)

My problem is I have so many UFO's sitting around that I feel too guilty to start anything new. I've got about a dozen tops that are just waiting to be quilted and probably twice as many unfinished tops waiting for me to find my motivation. ;)

Blog Entries
    Perhaps you could set yourself a 'sew-daily-challenge'. 15mins./1/2 hour may be enough to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by karensue
    I managed to go one month without buying any fabric - that's an accomplishment - just keep telling myself I need to save my money for the Dewing Expo coming in March.

Well today I looked at my WIP (about 10 quilt tops done but need quilting which I hate to do).

Then I looked at all the "kits" or "bundles" of fabric that I've bought over the past few years - many of those just sitting there all nicely bundled.

And of course, there the "stash" of fabric and patterns and books sitting on the shelves nice and neat.

But I'm just not in the mood to do anything -- I need motivation. There are days I actually unplug the computer so I won't be on it all day, but apparently that's not helping either. I have a list a mile long "in my head" of all the things I want to do and I have the time and the materials to do them, just don't know why I can't get "kick started".

Does any one else have this problem or solution.

I am wasting my days and that's not too smart.

Karen
    We had a speaker at our guild who talked about "virtual quilts" . All those quilts we plan in our heads that never really materialize. So you're not the only one! Keep dreaming!

Blog Entries
    I'm having a problem right now because I need to finish my son's wedding quilt and I'm not motivated to finish it. If I work on anything else I just feel guilty that I'm not working on his quilt.

I do this not only for sewing but also for ....housework....chores etc that I can't get motivated to do. Especially those really "icky" jobs.

I set the timer on my watch for 10 minutes and say "I'll just do it for 10 minutes, then I can quit". Most of the time, I've gotten far enough along in the task that I just keep on going....or if it's sewing/glass work I'm starting to enjoy it, so keep on going....and if not, at least had a really productive 10 minutes and more is done than before I started!

Maybe that long list in your head is overwelming you. Take it one thing at a time and don't put more pressure on yourself than that. When you get the first thing done you'll be motivated to get the next one done too. I retired this past year and spent a couple of months just walking in circles trying to figure out what to do first!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast