Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doing good in one area but not in another >

Doing good in one area but not in another

Doing good in one area but not in another

Old 02-01-2011, 05:34 AM

Perhaps you could set yourself a 'sew-daily-challenge'. 15mins./1/2 hour may be enough to get started.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by karensue
I managed to go one month without buying any fabric - that's an accomplishment - just keep telling myself I need to save my money for the Dewing Expo coming in March.

Well today I looked at my WIP (about 10 quilt tops done but need quilting which I hate to do).

Then I looked at all the "kits" or "bundles" of fabric that I've bought over the past few years - many of those just sitting there all nicely bundled.

And of course, there the "stash" of fabric and patterns and books sitting on the shelves nice and neat.

But I'm just not in the mood to do anything -- I need motivation. There are days I actually unplug the computer so I won't be on it all day, but apparently that's not helping either. I have a list a mile long "in my head" of all the things I want to do and I have the time and the materials to do them, just don't know why I can't get "kick started".

Does any one else have this problem or solution.

I am wasting my days and that's not too smart.

Karen
We had a speaker at our guild who talked about "virtual quilts" . All those quilts we plan in our heads that never really materialize. So you're not the only one! Keep dreaming!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:42 AM

I'm having a problem right now because I need to finish my son's wedding quilt and I'm not motivated to finish it. If I work on anything else I just feel guilty that I'm not working on his quilt.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 AM

I do this not only for sewing but also for ....housework....chores etc that I can't get motivated to do. Especially those really "icky" jobs.

I set the timer on my watch for 10 minutes and say "I'll just do it for 10 minutes, then I can quit". Most of the time, I've gotten far enough along in the task that I just keep on going....or if it's sewing/glass work I'm starting to enjoy it, so keep on going....and if not, at least had a really productive 10 minutes and more is done than before I started!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 AM

Maybe that long list in your head is overwelming you. Take it one thing at a time and don't put more pressure on yourself than that. When you get the first thing done you'll be motivated to get the next one done too. I retired this past year and spent a couple of months just walking in circles trying to figure out what to do first!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 AM

I must be a freak...if I am in a slump I bake something. For some weird reason that makes me want to sew! I am a freak...but I'm okay with that! Good luck!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 AM

It's really okay not to quilt if you don't feel like it. It's supposed to be fun. I often see posts like this one concerned by a lack of motivation. Maybe you need a temporary change of pace. Read a book or do something else. It's your life and your time. Spend it doing what you want to do--not forcing yourself to do what you DON'T want to.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM

Maybe you need to get out. Depending on weather and road conditions go to an art museum, historical museum, gallery, the library and check out an art book or whatever you are interested in. Visit a friend that lifts your spirits, meet for lunch or invite her over.
Any change of pace might help.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 AM

I think we all get times of inspiration when we can't stop quilting but we also get to a point were it is punishment to even look in our sewing room. When I get like this I look through my stash and pick the fabric that is my favorite (at the time) and start designing. This usually starts my motor to running.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 AM

My friend and I Skype while we are working on projects. We just got off and she sewed binding on a baby quilt and I sandwiched a toddler quilt while we visited. It was great. Another thing is to have an engagement calendar. Write your UFO's on cardstock and use as a bookmark for the calendar and use the date space as a journal for your quiltmaking so you can see how you are progressing. This system can also be used for quilt ideas, other ideas. You get the drift. Often motivation comes from seeing progress. On The Quilt Show Forum one moderator has been giving us cleaning and organizing assignments and that has helped motivate some people. Hope this helps.
Diane/Wyoming