Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doing good in one area but not in another >

Doing good in one area but not in another

Doing good in one area but not in another

Old 02-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

When I get like this I like to pick up a book and change the cyle. It doesn't take too long before the mood strikes to begin sewing again. Others have posted lots of great ideas as well!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM

I'm going through the same thing.I have trouble getting motivated this time of year anyway.Winter blues I've been told. I also lost my mother just before Thanksgiving.Her Birthday was in January.So I'm missing her terribly. I'm having a new grandson here soon and feel terrible because I just can't get motivated to make him anything. Any ideas would be greatly appreciate.
Originally Posted by karensue
I managed to go one month without buying any fabric - that's an accomplishment - just keep telling myself I need to save my money for the Dewing Expo coming in March.

Well today I looked at my WIP (about 10 quilt tops done but need quilting which I hate to do).

Then I looked at all the "kits" or "bundles" of fabric that I've bought over the past few years - many of those just sitting there all nicely bundled.

And of course, there the "stash" of fabric and patterns and books sitting on the shelves nice and neat.

But I'm just not in the mood to do anything -- I need motivation. There are days I actually unplug the computer so I won't be on it all day, but apparently that's not helping either. I have a list a mile long "in my head" of all the things I want to do and I have the time and the materials to do them, just don't know why I can't get "kick started".

Does any one else have this problem or solution.

I am wasting my days and that's not too smart.

Karen
Old 02-01-2011, 05:24 PM

When I get overwhelmed by all of what's ahead, I try to make a list of them - the projects, the tasks, etc. It doesn't matter if I don't get them all on there, just the better part of them.

Then, I label the tasks either A, B, or C, with A being the ones I want to do first.

Make a second list of the two or three top "A" items and work from that. You might want to do one at a time or alternate between them, but stick to your list. If you get one done before the others, replace it with another "A" item from the main list.

I take my two-three item list and put it up on the bulletin board or somewhere where I'll see it each day - keeps me focused.

Then, if I want to play on the computer, at least I know what I'll do when I get back in the groove.

Might be a silly little game I play with myself, but somehow I get more done this way.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM

a couple of mug rugs, maybe place mats, a table topper, or something small. That will usually get me back into gear
Old 02-01-2011, 07:01 PM

I am in the same mode. I have so many actually too many things i Like to do, have to do, want to do. I keep saying in my next life I will like to do one thing and that is it. I love to read, sew, knit, snowshoe play on this computor reading on the forum, watch tutorials plus the things you have to do around the house. I am semi=retired and go go go the minute my feet hit the floor in the morning. So I guess we are not alone which is a help. LOL If I could only split myself in 4 pieces. Hope it gets better for you. Hang in there and pick a kit to make.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:13 PM

I have the problem and in looking back have found I have the same problem each year right after Christmas. It seems to have to do with the amount off natural sunlight. It was really bad when I lived in MN, but in CA and TX still have the winter doldrums. I do a lot of reading and it eventually goes away. Hate it. Bobbi
Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 PM

I think it's the "post holiday mid-winter blues" cuz I have it too. I just got back from Mexico where it was sunny for the 7 days I was there. I felt Sooooo much better with sunlight! Could you take a walk midmorning or at noon? Perhaps that would jumpstart you. When I'm not motivated I can't even make a list of what I want to accomplish! It plays over and over in my head until I'm overwhelmed--and then I do nothing. I tend to be an "all or nothing" type person so that doesn't help either. LOL Take comfort that you aren't alone and hopefully we'll all be seeing longer, sunny days soon and start cranking out those quilt tops! :)
Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 PM

:)
Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 PM

I did get in a slump! What I did was to change my routine. I did not turn on the TV or computer. I got some books on CD from the library(That I had wanted to read). Turned them on and it got me going.It was like having someone there talking to me but yet I did not have to answer or even entertain. Now I can't stop...... 3 projects done in one week.
I also had too many projects that I could use in my home so I found a few places that were doing fund raisers. Finished projects and then donated. They were all worthy causes and it made it made feel so great!!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 PM

I think at this time of the year, we all need to just sit back and recharge our batteries. I had been busy with moving, and painting, and papering, and then entertaining almost nonstop from Sept. til Jan. quilting all kinds of stuff and then all of a sudden a couple of weeks ago, I hit that wall, and could go no further. I have taken a few steps back and am doing some different things. Doing some crocheting, lots of reading, watching tv and some other mindless things. Today, I spent an hour in my sewing room, and that was good. I figure it will take a few more days of doing nothing really worthwhile except relaxing and I will be ready to get back into the wing of things.
Just go do something else for a few days or however long it takes, and when you are ready, all those ufo's will still be there. No one else is going to them right? LOL
Don't sweat the small stuff!!!!