Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donate quilt? >

Donate quilt?

Donate quilt?

Old 09-05-2015, 09:48 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. You already have many good ideas. One other option is that some hospitals collect quilts for their cancer patients. They will let a patient use them during chemo (since they get so cold) and then the patient can take it home when s/he is released from the infusion unit.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Again, I am with dunster.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:28 AM

Your question is very close to my heart. When I first read your question I found I was unable to answer you, because of my own personal pain. But today I put my big girl panties on and I'm ready to go again. My first question would be did your brother have kids? If so you might think about (I know this will be hard after all of your work and love), cutting your quilt in half or quarters. Then making the original part the focus and doing something around it to make it lap sized. I've done this and even if the original quilt wasn't the style of the kids, having something of the parent that they have lost is something they like. And because it was something your brother liked, makes it all the better. Sometimes just after we lose someone, we don't want reminders of different things. But as time passes, we think about wishing we still had that favorite shirt or quilt. Just a thought.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

I will be donating about 25 or 30 quilts ,mostly big enough to cover one person, to a local food pantry. They give them people that need help.

Sorry about losing your Brother.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:10 AM

Mother won a quilt in a raffle and she just displayed it on a quilt rack but never used it. In a couple of years, she passed away, I donated it to her lodge. They sold chances on it and made some money. Win Win.