Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donation quilting pieces >

Donation quilting pieces

Donation quilting pieces

Old 07-11-2012, 07:51 AM

I am sorry to say that I have found the same thing in my donations. I suspect that Scissor Queen is right--people expect to pay what they would at Wal Mart. Now I give money, and give my quilts to those who I know will appreciate them
Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 AM

I meant to add to my "minimum price" letter that I also made a example label that said "Donated to ....... by [your name here], but no one wanted it!!! Once they decided to be generous, that's the way it went!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:24 PM

I don't make auction type donation quilts. If I make a quilt I find someone that needs it or really wants it for what it is. OR--- just give it to someone that is special but sometime the special person does not treat it as aspecial quilt. Most people do not realize what goes into making a quilt, even a machine quilt. But you gave it in good faith and the Lord knows it and he appreciate it I am sure.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:42 PM

I also totally agree. I am so disappointed when something you make especially a quilt that is never appreciated. That is one reason I don't make quilts for anyone other than my children/grand children...they do apprreciate them.

And people who think oh you could just whip it out and they have no clue as to what making a quilt involves or costs. Especially now with fabrics going for so much!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:57 PM

"auction type donation quilts" ouch! My auctioned quilts were for school children who travel on long trips and the quilts were as strong and as fun (for kids) as I could make, all with themes that fit the students' efforts. The desk at the auction told me that they were considered "perfect for the kids". I can't speak for everyone, but my auction quilts and other charity quilts are the best I can do. They are NOT art quilts, or the most complicated but they are the best I can do, as is every quilt I make. Yes, for charity I use fabrics that are no longer my favorite for giving to the fall blanket drive. What pleases me any more may not please someone else, and I liked the fabrics enough once to buy them. I think many quilters like to think of the possible person who may get the quilt they are making and that they don't sew "down" because they don't really care that much about who ever will get it.

Last edited by Sierra; 07-13-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 PM

i made a queen size eagle quilt and donated it to an auction to raise money for our local minor hockey league. unfortunately, i think it raised less than 200 dollars. disappointing, yes. now i just donate quilts for raffles. or just give them to people that need them. everyone is right, people want to pay the prices they see in walmart. they have no clue as to what goes into making a quilt.

i have had people ask me to make one for them. i tell them to buy all the materials, (fabric, batting, backing, etc.) and i give them approximate prices for all, then i never hear from them again. i guess it is just too expensive for them, and i wasn't going to charge them anything for my labour in making the quilt! oh well.