Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donation quilting pieces >

Donation quilting pieces

Donation quilting pieces

Old 07-10-2012, 12:20 PM

You are right about that! I donated a quilt top that was a whole cloth with "old style" cross-stitch design. I had done it entirely in the car on the 700 mile trips to visit my family (twice a year over a 12 year period of time). It went to the charity quilts group in my guild. They backed and quilted it then used it in a raffle as a fund raiser. It brought in $900. I never did calculate how much I made per hour because I have no idea how much time went into it, but I was very pleased that it ended up serving a good purpose.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM

Every year I donate a queen sized quilt for our church bazaar. We raffle it. It makes between $800 and $1100. Our 'handmades' table does not make much either. I do not understand people. All the money made here goes for the needy. No one appreciates the time and effort put into these things. Some quilter friends of mine have sold a few things at local shows and say that customers are always asking for a 'markdown' on the price. They want a quality item but do not want to pay for it. GO FIGURE ?????
Old 07-10-2012, 04:04 PM

I donate to auctions, but I always put a minimum price on my quilts. Frankly, usually that minimum price is the cost of the quilt (to me), including the proportionate cost of getting my machine gone over every year. I went from outright donating to putting a minimum price at my husbands insistence. I priced lap quilts (there were several and they were for a bus that takes children on tours) and I made the minimum at $70 each (if they didn't sell for that I wanted them back). The price put on them was $100 each and someone told the table "If no one else buys those for the bus kids I will buy them all." All five of them sold. I think the fact that I insisted on the minimum, after explaining abou the cost to me, the group realized they had real value. It was a win/win/win for me, the kids, and the group that needed the money.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 PM

A group at my church had a silent auction for a full-size quilt and I thought that was not smart as they raised $150. The next time they sold raffle tickets and raised five times that - people will "donate" $5 for a chance to win a quilt, but not spend $150.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:40 PM

My best friend had this happen recently. Her quilt was put into an auction directly after all the sporting memorabilia. She was very disappointed as was I for her. She had been told it was to be raffled. The school she donated it to would have made a lot more money if they had raffled it. A lot of the sports gear went for huge amounts but the men were buying with their emotions.
I believe people are quite happy to buy raffle tickets for a few dollars but baulk at spending big money for a quilt. Her quilt wasn't displayed properly either . It was folded to fit on the table and was carried around to show the audience still folded in a square. Very disappointing all round.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 PM

That must be really discouraging. You put time, attention, effort, and love into making something that you hoped would help the charity you support. I like the others' recommendations that you donate the cash instead. However, consider making quilts for charities that provide quilts or other blankets to people who need them, such as Project Linus. That way, you get the pleasure of quilting, and you know that the quilt will be valued by the organization who receives it.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
I made the minimum at $70 each (if they didn't sell for that I wanted them back). The price put on them was $100 each and someone told the table "If no one else buys those for the bus kids I will buy them all." All five of them sold. I think the fact that I insisted on the minimum, after explaining abou the cost to me, the group realized they had real value. It was a win/win/win for me, the kids, and the group that needed the money.
You're my hero!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
I donated a full size hand quilted quilt for a school function auction..It sold for $55!! A lap quilt I gave to the same auction went for the same price..It broke my heart, but I learned a valuable lesson...make small cheaper items and they will get the same money for it!!
Thanks. I'm taking notes. So far the donations I have been doing are only modest little quilts that are to be given directly (via our guild) to people in hospitals, women's and children's shelters, etc.. I think I'll continue to do that because it's seems more rewarding that way. I never actually find out who gets them or what they think of them, but maybe imagination is better than a disappointing reality.

Last edited by Rose_P; 07-10-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Power Poster

My experience is mixed as well. I donate to my church and adjoining school. The fall church fundraiser doesn't raise as much as the winter school auction. I have learned to donate different types of items depending on the fundraiser. I also make small items for auctions for individuals to help cover medical costs. These always go for more than my cost of materials, but not outrageously high. Yes I will continue to donate, but will be careful in selecting what I give.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:59 PM

I donated a crib size quilt to a co-worker for his daughter's PTA. I told him not to expect much $$$ for it. So when he told me it went for $55 I was actually rather pleased. I figured anything over $25 was good. knowing they rarely bring in what it cost to make them at these auctions. But I figure someone got a nice quilt at a very good price and it will be enjoyed by someone who really wanted it. And the PTA gets some money. It would have been donated to Linus or local hospital otherwise, so I didn't lose anything.