Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donations of quilts - who does them and what .... >

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Old 06-27-2010, 10:45 AM

Check with the Old Age Homes in your area. The residents there are always needing lap quilts or blankets to use during the winter time. You can also make quilts for single beds for them.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:54 PM

I do the QFK program and always send one kit back and one quilt of my own fabric/design with it.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:30 PM

I have in time belonged to 2 organizations that I crochet and quilt for but I have found I can stay plenty busy just making things for folks I meeet locally. i sew and quilt for my church nursery and I am contacted any time some of my church family hears of a need. I believe in giving where I live first and then branch out. I love the fact that I have quilts hugging little children whom I have never seen. I make a practice to pray over what i make because prayer can go anywhere Jesus can go and do anything Jesus can do!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:35 PM

I make lap quilts for the local nursing home. I try to make 10 yearly about 36 x 36
Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 AM

I've done a few for disaster relief efforts but the majority of my donations are for a local charity that makes sports quilts themed around local professional sports teams (Boston) and they are donated to children's hospitals, etc. I started doing it in September, 2009 and have donated 15 so far and going strong. If any of you fellow Bostonian's are interested, check out the charity's website at www.wrappedupinsports.org. We can always use more volunteers!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:42 AM

I have done Lap size quilts for a Relay for Life Team for Breast Cancer and Survivors. My granddaughter is a member of the team.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

My SIL is a ped. doc at a hospital, so I let her distribute them. When I worked at a retirement ctr. I'm make about 1 a week for the people ther that didn't have any. Ronald Mcdonald house is good, as well as a retired vets house, (for my more adult themes).
Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 AM

i make quilts with my small guild (9 ladies), we give kids quilts to a homeless shelter plus we make a quilt for any families in our area that have had a house fire. On my own i do the downy quilts and any thing else that appeals to me. I currently am trying to finish some polyester quilts i started years ago and will give them to a homeless shelter in a big town near me.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 AM

Our quilt group made 115+ quilts for a Kenyan orphanage our church helped to build and maintain. We also sew for children in foster care, nursing home patients and premie babies at our local children's hospital. So many good opportunities, so little time!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:06 PM

Made 45 bed quilts for the homeless shelter last year and always make quilts for the veterans hospital. My daughter and I took 16 quilts down in May and are working on a batch for the end of July. It's an ongoing thing. Also make quilts for the babies at the unwed mother's home.