Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donations of quilts - who does them and what .... >

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Donations of quilts - who does them and what ....

Old 07-02-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
For those who make quilts to donate to organizations --
what organizations to you donate to?

Do you belong to a group that does them or do you do them on all your own?

What size quilts to you make and how complicated of a pattern do you generally use?
All my charity quilts currently go to Quilts For Kids. I do not belong to any group. I do them all on my own. They vary in size, but linger around lap size and they vary in complexity depending on my mood. I do it all for fun as I enjoy the piecing, quilting and ultimatly donating process. I learn something new with each quilt I make and it makes me feel good to know it's going to someone who needs it and will love it.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:11 PM

For those of you that quilt for wounded soldiers BLESS YOU! My son is in Afghanistan now and I would want him to be comforted if anything were to happen! What a wonderful group of people I have found on the web!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:54 PM

I have donated to the Linus Society, The Baptist Children's Home, several for churches & my genealogy society to raffle, Nazarene Church for the children in Haiti, families sponsored by the Methodist Church on the Gulf Coast after Katrina, & pet beds for the local humane society--- The quilts that went to Haiti were very colorful and just a couple of basic patterns. I always try to make quilts appropriate for where they are going. When I did the quilts for the Baptist Children's Home, I embroderied the names of the children on the quilts. I got the sweetest notes from those children.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:19 AM

I donate small quilts to a local crisis nursery - through my guild. Our guild also donates quilts to Camp Good Times - a camp for children in remission from cancer. Last year the camp received smaller quilts suitable for younger children but was lacking quilts for pre-teens and teens. I did two quilts for the camp; one was twin and the other was double. Also, just yesterday I submitted a request for a Downy kit after seeing an ad in a new quilt magazine AND reading about the Downy kits on this site. I really love to do the charity quilts - it is a great way to try a lot of new and simple quilt patterns; cut down on my stash; and practice my FQM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:36 AM

I have made and donated quilts for Lutheran World Relief, Wounded Soldiers, Relay for Life, Work and School fundraisers, Pillowcases and Christmas Stockings for the Soldiers overseas. I have only kept my two challenge pieces from our guild. Everything else I have given away to friends, neighbors, family.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:53 AM

Hi, I mainly do quilts for my local hospital's NICU. My 20 month old grandson (preemie) spent 3 weeks there after birth. This unit has the most wonderful staff. So I considerate it paying back for his wonderful treatment.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:30 PM

I make War Time Quilts for wounded British Soldiers as part of the Quilts Of Valour UK.

edit, (pressed the button too soon) :-D

I've made most of the QOV in Red, White and Blue as this seems to be the more popular colour, although I gone to the nature fabrics a few times too. They usually are approx 54x66inches... many have been a bit larger.

Once the quilt and pillowcase is finished with the Recipients name and some personal details on the label, I post them to Jean in Wales who personally delivers them to the injured Hero or whichever Regiment/hospital the are to go.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 PM

During the past year I have donated almost 80 quilts and throws to Project Linus, a local church and various charities for raffles. Anyone know where I can get material donations? Seriously
doglover
Old 07-06-2010, 10:35 PM

hey, I wanted to chat a minute with you.........I have it my heart that I gotta make quilts for our soldiers... I already do them for PRoject Linus, so can do for both groups every month !Wht do I need to know, for the soldier quilts? I have gotten 2 started, trying to make them twin size, as I think I read that someplace. I have just done easy 9 patch, scrap colors on these two. Where do I send them, when they are ready to go? and I saw there was a form to fill out, with my name,etc............I would appreciate any thing you can tell me, suggestions, etc...........thanks..............Judy in NC
Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
hey, I wanted to chat a minute with you.........I have it my heart that I gotta make quilts for our soldiers... I already do them for PRoject Linus, so can do for both groups every month !Wht do I need to know, for the soldier quilts? I have gotten 2 started, trying to make them twin size, as I think I read that someplace. I have just done easy 9 patch, scrap colors on these two. Where do I send them, when they are ready to go? and I saw there was a form to fill out, with my name,etc............I would appreciate any thing you can tell me, suggestions, etc...........thanks..............Judy in NC
Hi Judy, I know there must be many groups that are doing Soldier quilts, but the Quilts of Valour here in the UK is a part of the QoV group that began and is still going strong in the States.

Google Quilts Of Valor ... sorry, I think it's .org

Everything you need to know, you'll find their website full of information, where to send them to, tips and links to patterns, Recipients photos and letters, and what to do about your labels.

From what I've read on the main site, there are many more groups that may be near you that you can use as a drop off point, or you may be able to locate a longarmer that will donate their time for you Soldier's Quilt of Valour.

Hope this is of some help

Joanne UK