Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Don't Judge My Quilting Space

That is so ironic I happened to pop in this thread, today of all days! We started remodelling my studio last monday, valentines day of all days, and hubby tells me this morning... "Ok, now your new table has been built for 2 days now, just when are you going to get this room put back together?" GAH!! I spent 2 days painting so mentioned desk and totally rearranging the entire room, it is shared with our bedroom but is 20' by 20' so plenty big enough. Now I have to start all over with the whole: where on earth am I gonna put all this stuff??! It has been a very long slow process but I can see the light at the end and am getting so excited!! Will definitely be reminding him of the MY SPACE, YOUR SPACE card, tyvm!! LoL

What is so funny about the My Space, Your Space thing is that I began using it as a teacher's aid in defining personal space in my first grade classroom. It was so effective, I began using it with my husband. LOL

Oh boy you should see my quilting room. Projects all over. Material here and there,batting on sewing chair as I get ready to cut it and my waist can is running over all over the floor. But I don't care it is my sewing room. But I will have to clean it up so I can find my siccors. Don't know what piece of material they are under also can't find my rotery cutter. TIME TO CLEAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just love this post! I am the same way! Sew, make huge mess, lose scissors, lose sewing machine, can't find scissors or machine, time to clean up, start all over again! Oh, and heaven forbid, don't hide the chocolate!

YES Maggie, whatever you dooo... DON'T hide the chocolate.
    I love t his post too. I never imagined everyone's process was so similar.

You can't be neat and creative at the same time!!!!

I only clean my sewing room when I am having company that I KNOW will be going in there - and not being quilters, they would NEVER understand. My DH's shop is twice as big, and at least three times messier!

BTW, my SIL/BIL live in Graham. Pretty country up there.

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolph33
    mine goes in cycles-clean up-sew a bunch-make a mess-repeat
    ME TOO!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am guessing like most SHOPS his is not attached to the house, thus nobody has to walk by and see it when it is a mess??

MEN...I told mine that if he did not like the way it looks, he is more than welcome to make more shelves for me or build me a 1,000 sq ft shop like his instead of me using a 8' x 10' room!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maryb119
    You cna't be neat and creative at the same time!!!!
    AMEN!!!

lol I so feel your pain... This is a running argument with us... My husband, although is a neat freak is also the "pack rat" and I am the hobbiest, as well as running my faux business out of my space... We both have our own "computor rooms". Yet he also has soul claim on the garage/storage shed..All 3 of his spaces look like storage units lmao
    I am constantly pairing down stuff (throwing stuff out, to make room for everything in my lil space)..He couldnt bare that = he can form a sentimental attachment to dust lmao
    I would love to change him and get him to throw stuff away..And I know he would love to change my clutter bug ways..However, he does dishes, laundry and cooks a lot...So, I aint sayin nooothin ...:: pause... well..at least not too often (laugh)

If we'd ooonly added a full size basement and or attic when we built!..Hind sight is 20-20

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Where is everyone making their name as their signature in different colors and fonts?
    Go to mylivesignatures.com and follow the directions. Then go to your "my Profile" page and go down to edit your signature. Then put it there and save it. Hope you get thru it. Beware, there are lots of choices, colors and sizes.

BTW , me judge your space. Not in this lifetime. I just started on mine. Be creative in yours and enjoy. My hubby keeps his shop neat nad even has labels, etc. So can't use that one on him. ROFL :thumbup:

My sewing space is the dining room table for now. As soon as a DD moves out I'll have a room again! Not rushing her or anything. :)

Creative clutter is better than idle neatness. I have this on my quilting room door.

I have 2 hobby rooms. My sewing room that I'v had since Sept. I took over DH's office/spare bedroom that was all clutter and not used for an office. And I'v had my wood room for 25 years. Use it for misc. crafts and wood working.I share this room with my husband. When my youngest who is 14, was about 2, I was no longer able to run the saws and drills because the noise upset her. That lasted till about 3 years ago. Soooo it seemed to become the clutter room. I did not spend as much time there and when I had a project to do, it would take a week to clean-up and organize, to start. DH's method of putting things away is to set it on the first available surface that it will fit. So the band saw, table saw, drill press, and work tables all seem to be some kind of storage unit. I am glad I don't need to worry about sharing the sewing room. My sewing room is still new to me and I realize a mess has developed as a project nears completion, but it is never as bad as DH's work area. When I plan a wood project, I 'simply' clean up. I have accepted that he won't. No complaints - I do have 2 rooms.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    I only clean my sewing room when I am having company that I KNOW will be going in there - and not being quilters, they would NEVER understand. My DH's shop is twice as big, and at least three times messier!
    DItto!!! Hubby's hobby is Wood turning - hes got shaved wood allover his lathe area.. No way would he ever complain about my sewing room..it gets a once over when company comes. thats it!!! Now, The rest of the house- Well.. uhm, yea that's another story!! lol

OK to keep peace I spent about a month reorganizing my small sewing space and have been trying to keep it somewhat tidy. Yesterday I made a real mess creating and today I spent over 2 hours looking for a ruler!So now will put ruler in slotted thin DH made for me.Tonight I moved to the livingroom as I don't have a big enough area in my space to quilt for even a baby quilt.So at the end of the day I'll tidy a bit but I never hear anything when DH sets up the table for me in the livingroom.Think he likes this!

my dh does not say a thing about my clutter, when the kitchen is full of scrap booking stuff he takes his dinner plate in the computer room! I am finishing a quilt in my sewing room and making a project for the nursing home residents in my kitchen.
    life is good!!

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    my quilting corner is in our bedroom, so I do try to keep it on the plus side of tidy. One day, a while back, my husband walked in while I was at the ironing board. Things were quite messy. He said, "I love seeing your quilting mess. It lets me know you're happy." I love that man.

Blog Entries
    I just hope nobody ever wants to look at mine. It is a wreck since I share it with my DH.

formerly Chicago suburb now Mooresville,NC
    I thought it was a character flaw of mine. I love to organize and can do a good job of it, but it doesn't seem to stay that way and I am the only one that I can blame. Now I know it is the artistic creator in me that does it. Good news! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I tell my hubby(who is OCD), I will make you a deal, you can clean my sewing room if you think it needs it and I will go out to the garage and rearrange your tools how I think they should be. That puts him on the run every time :lol: :lol:

Yes, this morning I am going to vacuum, dust and put fabric away as I have just finished a year long project. Then I will mess it up all over again later today when I start my new project. What fun!

Blog Entries
    Mine gets to be a real mess. When that happens, I know to just shut the door until I can get it back in shape. It drives ME more crazy than it does my DH. He is good that way since he learned that my response to his comments would be "do it yourself if its bothering you". :wink:

You have a WONDERFUL way for words and make a fantastic point. Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast