Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Don't Judge My Quilting Space

Right this minute I'm working on a Log Cabin and using mostly scraps----my sewing table is piled so high and all over that I can barely SEE my sewing machine. That's how I work, when this quilt is finished I'll clean up then start the same process of making a mess again with my next project. That's called Quiltmaking, right ladies???
    Be a happy quilter, Kutnso

Sounds exactly like my husband. He helps with everything around the house; and my sewing/craft room is a mess. I think he lets it go for a long time and then says something. I feel guilty because he does do so many things to help me - laundry, clean-up after dinner, preparation when we're having a gathering - and I could go on and on. I just don't feel guilty enough to clean the room. When I do, a few days later, no one would know.

LOL you should see mine now

Quote Originally Posted by Granna of 5
    I like your spunk, I bet you don't get that lecture again.
    I bet he wouldn't have liked it if you had started calling him out on his garage space.

Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Use... My Space, Your Space... we should be able to each do whatever we want in our own spaces.
    That would be nice. I would be messy too,if it weren't for the customers that come into the fabric rooms to pick our their fabric for quilts. That forces me to pick up everything as I go and put it back in its right place.

My husband retired before I did. The first thing he said he was going to do was "rearrange" my cupboards. I quickly put him straight on that.

My husband knows to stay out of my sewing room and keep his judgments about my housekeeping to himself!

Blog Entries
    DH never complains about a mess anywhere. He is the "drop it where you use it" kind of man. Drives me crazy.

My Dad had a work shop, if anything fell on the floor it stayed there for a long time. You don't have a sewing room to clean it, you have one to use. In order to use it, it gets messy.

my sewing area is also a mess....when i am on a project, i just put scraps and leftover peices here and there, and say to myself i will get that put away after the project is done, but, you guessed, i start on the next project, and those scraps and pieces get put on top of the other pieces and so one...after awhile, i just HAVE to stop and put some of it away............how fun we are!!!!!!!!!!!! gina

My flat is being 'de - cluttered' at the moment because of flat inspection tomorrow. Non - sewers do not understand that a work in progress is not mess. I will be blowed if I am going to spend 30 minutes setting everything up to do 15 minutes sewing and then pack it away again so that it can look nice for somebody else. I want it to be waiting for me to begin sewing as soon as I need or want to and all the packing and tidying time is devoted to the quilt. I clean up when I'm finished.

Quote Originally Posted by sewTinker
    my quilting corner is in our bedroom, so I do try to keep it on the plus side of tidy. One day, a while back, my husband walked in while I was at the ironing board. Things were quite messy. He said, "I love seeing your quilting mess. It lets me know you're happy." I love that man.
    Aw..that's music to my ears. What a sweetheart! Definitely a keeper! A man with feelings AND appreciation!

Ditto

Amen!!!

Power Poster
    Tell it like it is. Don't hold back.

Amen Sista!!

As great as my husband is, he doesn't understand that sewing can be messy. He, too, is always making comments about my "piles." Unfortunately, I have to share a working space with him. I have to admit that most of the time his space looks better than mine. :thumbdown:

I am sure your husband did not understand. Lighten up on him and just explain your process in a calm voice and I am sure he will understand.

Alright!!!! You said it right and good for you! Jan

Grugirl, I love your ducks.

I'm from across the canal from Shelton. I usually see a family of ducks with 12 babies on my lake when I first get home from Ariz. in the Spring. As time goes by, I see fewer & fewer babies as they become lunch for other critters.

Yours are obviously tame but mine are wild. They won't even come up on the beach to get the bread I put out for them.

All I can say is... you have YOUR SPACE & he needs to stay in HIS SPACE... ;)
    Isn't the winter blues of cabin fever great... not!

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Good for you! Once many many moons ago LOL, when I was still very naive (in my 30s) trying to juggle a job and six kids (3 of which are his), my husband criticized me for the way I organized my kitchen cupboards. Although young but wise, I told him, "Fine! You organize my kitchen and I will go out and organize your garage/workspace the way I want it to be!" After more than 43 years, that subject has never come up again! So, I am with you and I applaud your effort to "own" your space. Yolanda Wood River

My sweet husband is VERY neat... me not so much some times. the other day he was amazed at the huge mess in my sewing room, only because he had to move so much to use the laptop.... I told him that creation was messy; he laughed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3