Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't know what to do.

Don't know what to do.

My son has just flown out to the States as his girlfriend was called home last week to be beside her 20 yr old brother. He took an overdose. They are turning off life support.
    Obviously I can't stop thinking about all concerned in this tragic situation. I have never met the young man but I know that she was so close to him and will be devastated and grief-stricken and will feel her loss forever. I would like to make her a quilt (I know it's far too soon for such a gift yet but would like to start it now to give when I feel it's appropriate).
    What pattern could I use? Please help.

Annie

What about simple scrappy applique hearts in a cuddle size. Something to wrap around her shoulders or throw over her lap on the sofa. It's not so formal that the recipient would not want to use it and the hearts say it all.
    Diana

Thanks Diana. I'll get searching in my books.

Annie

I think it is a wonderful idea to make a quilt. sometimes the simple gesture makes the world of difference.

She might like a "memory" quilt made of fabrics from his 100% cotton clothes, made with a simply pieced pattern. You'd have to ask someone in the family for clothes of his---if you think you can do that. Memory quilts are very much cherished.

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    I love the idea of a heart quilt, have you looked at the heart design on the Heartstrings site? It's scrappy and wonderful.
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

Make what your heart tells you is right. I'm sure she will appreciate it in the spirit it is given.

Thank you so much. The Heartstrings site is inspirational.

Annie

I am so sorry to hear this. I sure what every quilt you decided to make will be cherished.

Blog Entries
    I'm very sorry to hear this, however your son and the young lady are very fortunate to have such a kind woman in their lives. Making her a quilt is a very comforting gesture. I'm sure that she will appreciate your kindness to her and your son will too.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

I am sorry for the pain this family will have to go through. When our friends daughter was driving the car that resulted in the death of her best friend I felt a need to make a quilt too. I made a Yellow Brick Road in soft colors. She took this quilt with her as she continued her education, but has had to move away from here in order to move on with her life. Any quilt you decide, will be precious.

Thank you so much. He passed yesterday. There is no way that I can imagine their pain. I have started a muted heart quilt.

Thank you again

Annie

I am so sorry to hear about this tragedy
    I also like the idea of hearts beacause we never forget the people we love they are always in our hearts
    many blessings on your family and friends

Banned
    I think I would make a log cabin
    Don't think I'd make a memory quilt - for a very long time they are hard on the people who have had the loss

I think there are a lot of wonderful ideas here, and I think you are a sweet person to make her a special quilt. Bless you.
    Some things have to be believed to be seen. -Ralph Hodgson-

I'm sure she will cherish your quilt.
    Dee

Today is the day the Lord has made..Let us be glad and rejoice in it!!

I LOVE this idea..I have made manyyyyyyyy of these, and I call them "Hugs from Heaven"
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    She might like a "memory" quilt made of fabrics from his 100% cotton clothes, made with a simply pieced pattern. You'd have to ask someone in the family for clothes of his---if you think you can do that. Memory quilts are very much cherished.

Here is wishing your son and girlfriend the best death is very hard and your special quilt will forever be special to them

That is such a sad situation. I know she will love whatever you decide.

Blog Entries
    I love this heart quilt. So simple and says so much.

Click this link:

http://quiltingintherain.blogspot.co...mmer-love.html

How about a memory quilt with some of his favorite shirts. I did one for my neighbor who lost her father to cancer. I used shirts her mother had given me for the project, one had his name on it. They both were quite touched. The pattern was a simple Ohio star, quick and easy to do and the quilting was a simple stitch in the ditch. Good luck!

My friend's husband died several years ago, and she had a quilt made using his flannel shirts. It was a row of flying geese and then a plain row, etc. It was very simpler, but very striking. This would depends on whether this girl would be willing to part with her brother's clothes - or whether his mother would be willing to part with them. But how generous of you to be willing to make it!

It is so sweet of you to think of her at this time. I don't have suggestions for colors but something with a heart would seem to be right.

How terrible it is to see anyone take there own life. The family is in my prayers as we have also had a family member commit sucide. I like the idea of trying to use some fabric from some of his clothes that way she will always have a part of him. See if your son can get some of the boys clothes to use in different places on the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    You could make a hug pillow I gave one to my mother and told her it was full of hugs and kisses that she could have every time she held it and have given several away

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast