Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room >

Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room

Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room

Old 02-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

Wow! So many interesting and varied answers. I have a pegboard that is home to scissors, rulers, rotary cutters and a number of other things. They are in view but not all over the table. A lovely glass jar has wound bobbins. There is a shelf over the table that has pinned tops, and boxes of thread. It all looks pretty good right now, as I just finished picking all the colors for my snowman block of the month. All twelve months drawn, and ironed. Will be cut at the church group on Tuesday.

I must say I have sympathy for people who do not actually have a sewing room. I've known some people who only have the dining room table, and have to clear it all away for each meal. I think I'd blow a gasket.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I cleaned my sewing room one time and it paralyzed me. I could not work in there because it was so neat. I would walk in, sit down, appreciate the neatness, get up and walk back out. Finally my DH got frustrated with me and suggested that I go in and pull out some fabrics and get the table cluttered. From then on, my table has never been "clean."

This is one of the "to each their own" situations.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:37 PM

No, you are not a fusspot, you are just putting us all to shame, that's all. I cannot clean up a thing in my sewing area until the quilt is bound and in the washer. Then I clean everything up and put everything away and start all over again.
Actually, I have a controlled mess - that does sound good, doesn't it? If I make a mistake or something, everything is there for me to correct or to make another block. If I put everything away I'll never find it again, for sure.

Have a good evening. I do admire and appreciate how you do things, and wish I could also, but I do have these brain farts once in a while and I can't find anything. So, it just stays out until I am done and then I put everything away nice and neat AND DRAG IT ALL OUT AGAIN! Now I am going to kick back and have me a glass of wine. I sewed the binding on both sides vertical on a quilt I am making, and will do the hand work tonight. I got 24 blocks all cut out and pinned so I don't lose them and have put two together. I am tired. Edie
Old 02-07-2015, 02:53 PM

I love having my sewing room, so while I am working on a project I can walk away and not have to put everything away. When I was younger I could work well into the night, now I find if I work too late I end up making mistakes. So if it is late and I still feel like I have a lot of energy I straighten up what I am working on and get ready for the next day. But if it is one of those times that you just need to walk away, I can. But I guess, like most of you I need to be organized to start and that is more to keep me moving forward, not because I want to be neat. (Anyone that saw my desk at work would know that I don't need to keep it neat to be productive. But quilting is another story, you have an order to make it go together they way you want it to look.)

Definitely a "To each her own, said the little old lady as she kissed her cow."
Old 02-07-2015, 03:33 PM

I usually straighten my sewing room after each project. My sewing room is small and I don't like to be distracted with extra stuff when I start a new project.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:01 PM

I am another neat freak, I do not like going in to sew when the room is a mess to start with. It is cleaned when I finish for the day and everything is put in its place. When I go back in I can smile and settle in for another great day of sewing.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:14 PM

If you don't remain organized you waste a lot of time searching for items for a project. A sewing area can become a mess so quickly! I am more productive when I'm neat, but sadly it doesn't come naturally for me, I have to work at it.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:07 PM

All my life I have been a neat person...almost over the top. I began quilting at retirement and my sewing room is always a mess during a project. It s therapeutic for me. I can work just fine in a messy room which shocks my children. I have to clean up after each project before I can begin anything new. Guess the neatness is still in me but I give myself permission to work in a mess. Different strokes for different folks. Glad to hear I have some that are like me.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:30 PM

My DH balances stuff on curved surfaces...
Old 02-07-2015, 10:53 PM

My promise to myself was to clean up after each sewing session amd put things away...it is so much better..I am more productive...