Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room >

Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room

Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room

Old 02-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

That is why I built a separate sewing room from my house..That way it can be a little messy and no one sees it. I find I sew more if I leave things out.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:40 PM

I'm all or nothing. It's neat as a pin or neck deep. I clean up and organize after I've finished a large project but sometimes have several going at once so things get away from me.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:51 PM

I wish I were a neat freak but truth be told, I'm far, far from it. I know what's in each of my little stacks of clutter and that works for me. However, I do try to keep all my clutter in the same general area and that's about the best I can do. LOL
Old 02-22-2015, 09:59 PM

I also clean my sewing room up after each project. I had just finished cutting up the 2.5" squares for the 2015 birthday swap and was ready to start cutting a wedding quilt that needs to be done by the end of March. I had already washed and pressed the fabric and had just finished cutting the background. Then, I started double-checking my other fabric colors before I started cutting them. I spent 1 hour trying to figure out where 2 larger pieces of fabric were....they were each over 1 yard and all I could find laid out were my 8 other 3/4 yard cuts. I was looking at the receipt and wondering if I had left the fabric at the store, checked the walk-in closet, unfolded the backing fabric just in case it got put in there....no where could I find that fabric. I was even going to check the trunk of my car.....I was just starting to get angry with myself for having so much fabric that I "lost" 2 yards......I walked out of my room to go downstairs and "viola"!!!!!!! there, hanging over the balcony on the banister were the 2 pieces of fabric I had been looking for!!!!! I guess when I pressed them, I put them there to be out of the way and hang straight! Whew!!!!! I am glad I didn't have to "get angry with myself" and Whew.....I'm glad I DON'T have too much fabric! Ha!
Old 02-23-2015, 03:31 AM

I don't see how anyone can create in a messy sewing room. Good for you for being neat.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:46 PM

I work better when I have one project out at a time. That said, I am quite the distractible Magpie (ooh, shiny!) and tend to pull stuff out into small piles when searching for something else. Then I feel overwhelmed and have to put it all away before I can make any headway. It doesn't help that I don't put it away neatly. By the time I'm frustrated enough to need order (or my husband is grumbling), it all goes in a big bag willy-nilly. Until next time. : ) I only have a small corner of the kitchen so I can't leave it a mess for too long.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:03 PM

I wish I was a total organizer but I am not. When I organize I miss the creative moment.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katydidkg View Post
I don't see how anyone can create in a messy sewing room.
For messy people it's really easy.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:28 PM

I try my best to keep things tidy, but I have many, many hobbies, and with only a few exceptions, they all have to fit into a 9'x9' room.

Since I often work on more than one thing at a time, it seems that messes are inevitable.

To make things even more "interesting", DH has a small computer table that's also in my craft room. He, too, almost always has a project going on, so his tools end up all over the place. I guess it's a good thing we get along!
Old 09-02-2015, 01:13 PM

some of us are energised and our creativity swings into high gear when we are surrounded by stuff, i can sit at a plain desk and be nearly paralyzed. but get out a box of cards and a couple pens, and maybe a doll, and take off my bracelet, and suddenly i've got an idea and i'm raring to go! they (those who study these things) seem to attribute it to the side of your brain that is in control. naturally, i'm in the messy side of my brain.