Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Don't you hate it when ...

I just cleaned up and reorganized my room. For the most part I know where things are. Each project is in its own basket in the closet with everything needed to finish. Well sort of. I wanted to practice FMQ this morning and couldn't find the little sandwiches I put together .. they were on the shelf Under a basket of patterns. lol I still haven't run across my pressing sheet. I was fanatic about putting it back in the case it came in , didn't one time and now its gone. I picked up another at a yard sale for times like this and . yep can't find that one either. I need to redo my drawers by my machine and I am thinking about redoing things on my wall again. My brother is leaving for Italy the beginning of May and I will do it while he is gone. I Will get this room set up right, one of these redo times. And everything Will be organized and Clean annndddd ... Where is that glass of wine??

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yep...I usually have something to sew on.....but I hate to clean/straighten up/organize cuz I lose too much stuff!

Blog Entries
    I just traded my big bedroom for my smaller sewing room. Thought I'd have more room but failed to take into account that I already had three treadle machines in my bedroom plus a fold up quilting frame and when I moved my other Singer in a cabinet and portable machines (5), plus serger & Go Cutter. Now I can't find my notions. While I was moving I just stuffed any & everything into a drawer. Now I'm paying for it. Boo hoo will I ever find everything. I did end up storing three portables behind the couch along with the serger. And I can walk all the way around my cutting table plus I have a 6' folding table up all the time.
    TwandasMom

Don't you hate when that happens. I hear ya. I too lose items when cleaning up (cleaning is a necessary evil). Good luck.

I try to stay VERY organized. I put all of the fabric, batting, and backing, pattern, and whatever else I could possibly need for that project into a laundry basket. So when I get to it....the entire project is all together. Only problem is that I am out of laundry baskets and they are too expensive to keep buying more. Maybe I just won't have to do any laundry again???
    So lately I have resigned myself to cardboard boxes....they are piling up and I have exploded outside of my small sewing room. If I just didn't have to go to work...I would have plenty of time to get things done----darn!

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I actually hate to reorganize because then I can't find anything.

Maybe you can use your free play time to plan something new, if you aren't in the mood to cut? Look over your stash and do some thinking??

At any rate, you will figure something out.

Dina
    My thoughts exactly! When I sort things out, it takes me forever to find them again. My theory is, it may be a mess but it's my mess... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Yes, that happened to me last night. All day while busy doing other things i kept thinking about an old project I wanted to work on. When I got it out I had to square up all the blocks I had made and cut out some other pieces. All I wanted to to is sew so that project got set aside again. I ended up sewing together some corners that I had to cut off blocks for another project.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

About 1956 my Grandmother embroidered a set of squares for eighth grandchild, my little sister. Her embroidery was perfect, as always. Someone else (I won't embarrass her ghost) set them with plain squares, layered on cotton batting and machine quilted about 4 inches apart. Over the years the setting material faded, the batting deteriorated into little wads like a tissue in the washing machine. Somehow it came to me and was stored with other mementoes and forgotten.

One day, during an airing/reorganization day the little quilt came to light. I realized I might be able to reclaim the beautifully embroidered squares.....I needn't disassemble the whole thing, just pick the stitches from the decorated patches. Many evenings 'pickin' & grinnin' resulted in a pile of embroidered squares, ready to have a new life. They were carefully bagged while I tried to think of a setting to do them justice. And they set and they set until---you guessed it---I didn't know where they were (for a couple of years) until they showed up in a box of scraps. Hmmm, a nine patch with snowballs? a wonky log cabin? Off we went to Lenora's Fabric to select an assortment of coordinating pinks. Fabrics and blocks all tucked in a pink bag and set with other projected projects. A child leaves the nest and chaos and shifting result. Where's that pink bag?

Retirement and reorganization ensue....ah, there's that pink bag! My DS, the mother of five, will surely enjoy having her baby quilt resurrected. Retirement will mean so much time for sewing and quilting! Then, mammogram, and pink ribbon time for me. Four years survival and oh! look! there's that pink bag! how could I have mislaid it?

Life happens while we're planning quilts.
    Last edited by Greenheron; 04-18-2012 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kat112000 View Post
    Total opposite for me!! I have tons of sewing to do!! I was in a cutting frenzy and have three quilts cut out and ready to sew.
    Kathy,

Next time you get in a cutting frenzy come to my house! I hate cutting!

If I put fabric in a zip loc bag, I put a picture in it to remind me why I gathered that particular group of fabrics. Otherwise, I'd forget also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapykate View Post
    I hate it when I have put fabrics together for a specific project only to forget what the project was....... I'm with you love to sew, not fond of cutting. Cutting is a necessary evil though. Put some music on and sing along as you cut:-)
    LOL! Now, how many times have I done that?
    Judy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2