Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double knit - What would you do with it? >

Double knit - What would you do with it?

Double knit - What would you do with it?

Old 01-07-2012, 03:30 PM

My in-laws always use double knit in their quilts, but they also do it all by hand. It is alot warmer and they use no batting. Right now, as a new quilter I am sticking to the cottons.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:53 PM

Double knits are an excellent choice for making quilts for the homeless. The extra warmth is great, and they will dry out faster. If you don't want to work with it, there are charity sewing groups who will be glad to accept it as a donation.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 PM

Yes, double knits are great for the third world countries as well as anyone that wants a very washable, rugged blanket. It is great you are looking into using this for charities and or nursing homes.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 PM

Ooops. It also is great for making rugs for all the same reasons.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:07 PM

do the same thing Scissor Queen's friend does. Cut in 2 inch squares and make rugs. They wash and dry very well. Catch all the mud that somehow wants to come in. Also they work really well for mats in the car.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
I use double knits to make large stuff sack draw string bags. They are great for holding a sleeping bag, pillow and extra blanket for camp or to haul laundry home from college. My daughter was always dragging hers on the ground heavily loaded with laundry and they took all the abuse. I use my preserving kettle lid (18" diameter) to draw a circle for the base and a width of fabric (it's 60" wide) to make the sides, stitch the drawstring casing at the top and insert the cord. I've made them for all my kids, their cousins and friends and the local Girl Guides and Scouts. Everyone loves these sacks!
Another great idea! I totally dislike it when people is dismiss double knits. So many great uses and your suggestion is just awesome! I make clothes pin bags out of mine. I have some to make lap quilts too. Always something we can make with it!
Old 01-07-2012, 04:55 PM

Some people make braided rugs from the knit.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:39 PM

I just bought some jersey today at Joannes (it was 30% off) to make my daughter a maternity belly band (see link). Maybe you know some pregos who can use one!

http://diymaternity.com/pants-skirts...-a-belly-band/
Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
I have a lot of double knits from the 60's and 70's which my husband picked up at an auction a few years back. I've been wondering, do you think it would make good lap quilts for nursing homes (w/o a batting)? Would they be happy to get it, or do you have some better idea of how I could use it? I am open for all kinds of suggestions. Thanks for your considerations. Margie
I like to use double knit as the back on mug rugs. Tends not to slide too much.

I think double knit alone is cold, so I'd never use it as a lap robe without batting.

NOW, I do like to use it for the back of kids' floor quilts. Tough fabric and can withstand being on the floor.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:08 PM

My son's absolute favorite quilt was the one my mother made him almost entirely of double knit fabrics from the 60's and 70's. She threw in some flannels for good measure.

We used to shy away from using it for quilts but I noticed my guild's 2012 community service project is laps quilts for hopsice, veterans, and babies, and one of the fabrics they list that you could use is knits. So, sew away!