Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double knit - What would you do with it? >

Double knit - What would you do with it?

Double knit - What would you do with it?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:18 AM

I inherited yards and yards of double knit from my mother. I ended up donating all of it to different groups who made quilts for charitable organizations. I understand they made large patchwork squares and no batting. One group sends them to India; they're used for tents, etc.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 AM
bjp

when my grandmother passed away, I cut up some of the double knit pants and things she had and made some 4-6" squares then sewn them together to make quilts. They are really warm and it is like she has her arm around you and she is keeping you warm.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by fmhall2 View Post
I have a lot of double knits from the 60's and 70's which my husband picked up at an auction a few years back. I've been wondering, do you think it would make good lap quilts for nursing homes (w/o a batting)? Would they be happy to get it, or do you have some better idea of how I could use it? I am open for all kinds of suggestions. Thanks for your considerations. Margie
I worked in a nursing home for over 25yrs..they would love it..and yes no batting...
Old 01-09-2012, 07:50 AM

My aunt made rugs out of double knit by sewing strips to a canvas backing. Those things wore like iron. Great idea to use the knit as batting in light quilts. You would never have to worry about batting shifting and wouldn't have to quilt too closely.

Pat
Old 01-09-2012, 09:41 AM

Double knit quilts make great picnic quilts too! They last forever and hold up to being in the great outdoors.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 AM

I want to thank every one of you for your ideas. I don't feel so bad now about having all of this, and am sure I will make use of it. I am printing out the entire thread so that I will always have all of your suggestions. Thanks a million. MargieLou Hall
Old 01-09-2012, 11:07 AM

I want to thank every one of you for your ideas. I don't feel so bad now about having all of this, and am sure I will make use of it. I am printing out the entire thread so that I will always have all of your suggestions. Thanks a million. MargieLou Hall
I have to say that people's ideas here were wonderful. I'm going to keep that one about the drawstring sack as well. I can that as an extremely useful thing for people/college kids, etc. What great ideas!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 AM

This is not an actual answer to your question, but just something that I was reminded of. My grandmother used to make braided rugs from worn out clothes. When double knits went out of style, my cousin and I gave Grams several boxes of dresses. She gave them back to us, told us to wear them some more, she couldn't bear to cut up good stuff. We finally convinced her that these things would never wear out. She finally relented and I have rugs that she made over 30 years ago.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Banned

Several years ago when double knit was popular, I made soft balls out of it. . You start with a pentagon (5 sided) shape which makes a round ball. They were great for the kids = stuffed with polyfill they were washable
Old 01-09-2012, 12:32 PM

Default Double knit

I have a lot of double knits from the 60's and 70's which my husband picked up at an auction a few years back. I've been wondering, do you think it would make good lap quilts for nursing homes (w/o a batting)? Would they be happy to get it, or do you have some better idea of how I could use it? I am open for all kinds of suggestions. Thanks for your considerations. Margie
My sister and i make quilts for the homeless using several layers of batting for warmth. They are very durable. I have also made lap robes for the nursing home with them. They actually can make some beautiful quilts depending on colors and design. I now have a box full of 3" squares of like turquoise and salmon to make a 9 patch. I hope I have enough white to use as sashing between the blocks. I am sure nursing homes would be very happy to have lap robes made from Double knits.
Reta