Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double wedding ring blues UPDATE - Pictures added Page 2 >

Double wedding ring blues UPDATE - Pictures added Page 2

Double wedding ring blues UPDATE - Pictures added Page 2

Old 03-16-2009, 09:24 AM

it looks like you're using them all in one piece, not paper piecing different pieces together?, if not there is no seam allowance being taken up so your piece is too big for the football piece,
Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 AM

nevermind! I just realized that can't be it :oops:
Old 03-16-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
it looks like you're using them all in one piece, not paper piecing different pieces together?, if not there is no seam allowance being taken up so your piece is too big for the football piece,

lol, I was so confused by that! I did cut seam allowances in the pattern pieces... I dunno, maybe it's an ID 10 T problem... lol!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Banned

I'm also working on my first double wedding ring quilt. This is def. the most complicated pattern I've ever done. I got the pattern from the book "Egg Money Quilts" by Eleanor Burns. It's been rather easy to follow. I still have 2 more squares to finish appliquing the rings on and then I'll start piecing. I noticed on your pattern that you didn't use squares on your corners Like this... http://dogfeathers.com/quilt/images/WEDRING.JPG I have the corners. Maybe you could encorporate them? That would give you "forgiveness room". I'm banking on that myself. lol
Old 03-16-2009, 05:47 PM

Well, if I had been piecing the arcs from small squares of fabric, I would have had the squares in the corners, but since I just wanted one colour in my arcs, I just didn't bother. At first, I thought that might have been my problem, but since it all fit together so well with the melons, I don't think that's it... plus, my arcs still went together really easily with the inner curve of the funny curvy triangular pieces, I didn't even have to pull the pieces into place, or ease them so that they lined up... they just fit. *sigh*
I think I will re-cut my outside pieces keeping the same curve, but add a couple of inches that I can later trim and square up so they all match.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:49 PM

i had the same trouble once ad it was ot me but the fabric , how i fiished it was like bella said use a stablizer in back of each block to help you cotrol the fabric better hope i help
Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 PM

im having troble with my n,s in key board
Old 03-17-2009, 05:55 AM

My guess is that you are stretching as you sew. It's very hard not to, since all of those edges are on the bias! Also, I would not sew them into squares like that in the first place. I will see if I have some pictures of a better technique - it goes together like clamshell piecing.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:46 PM

Ok, thanks everyone, I figured out the problem... well it was a combination of problems, but it seems to be working well now :)

Attached Thumbnails attachment-35666.jpe   attachment-35689.jpe  
Old 03-17-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cathe
My guess is that you are stretching as you sew. It's very hard not to, since all of those edges are on the bias! Also, I would not sew them into squares like that in the first place. I will see if I have some pictures of a better technique - it goes together like clamshell piecing.

OOh, I think I know what you're talking about, I saw it somewhere but I can't remember where now, lol~