Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double Wedding Ring......h.e.l.p.  me please >

Double Wedding Ring......h.e.l.p. me please

Double Wedding Ring......h.e.l.p. me please

Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 PM

When sewing curves I have great luck with a curvemaster foot on my machine. The piecing is easier and irons beautifully
Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 PM

I paper pieced the arcs when I made mine a few years ago. Besides taking the paper off and pinning a lot, I also used a tweezer to hold the edges of the two pieces together as I sewed the seam. That worked well for me. Just take your time and don't let it get you down. You will have a beautiful quilt when it's all done.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:27 AM

When sewing curves together, you might try to put the one with the most fullness on the bottom. Your feeddogs will help ease the fullness in. Pin center, then pin ends, them pin half way between the centers and the ends. This should help.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:45 PM

I appliqued the arcs to the melons! Machine applique. Easier for me.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:49 AM

I made a DWR for my nephew's wedding and the instructions that I had included spray starching everything. Obviously you do not need to do this for paper piecing the arcs but if you starch the melon pieces and sewing with the melons on bottom and use a stiletto to ease the arcs into place it should be easier. Also I noticed that you do not have your corner pieces sewn on. The instructions for the DWR that I had called for sewing on the corner pieces to the ends of the arcs before sewing on to the melon pieces. Then of course pressing the piece will help as well and pressing so that the melon piece remains flat. This means pressing to the arc not to the melon. With a little instruction from me my DSD helped me press the blocks and there was not a pucker problem at all. Good luck. We all want to see the finished quilt.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 PM

Take this from someone who has made 5 of DWR. If the puckers bother uou that much turn the backside to you and make a few tiny clip from outside edge of the oval towards the inside edge. Stop before you come to that seam. It should ease enough that when you press it the puckers will ease . Its not the end of the world. I gave my first one to my Dh for our 25th Wedding ann. We still sue it and we are going on 57 years. I made one for each of our children when they married.This is the hardest pattern I think there is to make. Good luck with that tiny pucker.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:54 PM

i love your colors. The easiest double wedding ring quilt that I have made is made with the quiltsmart interfacing. What FUN using that interfacing. If all else fails, give it a shot! Seriously... it's as easy as a 9 patch!!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:38 AM

I've made three DWR and love them. However, I can't imagine how difficult it must be to paper piece! I make card templates for all the shapes and then using a very sharp pencil draw around the templates on the back of the fabric. If you then put the fabrics rightside tog. and pin through to match the pencil lines you will always be accurate. Also when you attach the arcs to the seed shape use plenty of pins to match the pencil lines again. The first arc goes to the point of the seed and the second arc has the square attached at each end and finishes at the end of the first arc. Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 AM

It will be beautiful... I love the colors. I have made about 5 double wedding ring quilts, but could not get the hang of the piecing of the football shapes either. I used the Quilt Smart fusible method. They turned out beautifully.

Double Wedding Ring Quilts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227222[/ATTACH]

Close Up Double Wedding Ring
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227223[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227216.jpe   attachment-227217.jpe  
Old 07-16-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by tellabella
Did you sew with the melon on the top?
Did you cut the melons on the bias?
Keep the paper on the arcs but not on the melons.
Bingo! That's what I was going to suggest as well.