Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Downton Abbey Fabric line >

Downton Abbey Fabric line

Downton Abbey Fabric line

Old 12-19-2013, 04:35 AM

I love the program but the fabrics are not my taste. I look forward to seeing some quilts made up with them. Perhaps that will change my mind.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 AM

I think with the right quilt design these would make gorgeous heirloom looking quilts. I can see them used as D4P or as beautiful Dresden plate quilts....yummy!!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:21 AM

I like them a lot. I've never heard of Downtown Abbey....hangs head in shame for her oblivion...

but the fabric you referenced is beautiful to me.

My DD #1's name is Abby, so when we went to Scotland back a few years ago, we had to get her standing under anything with the name "Abbey" in it.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:24 AM

I've watched the series several times, and don't really see any real uses of those fabric in the series like I had hoped. Yes, perhaps they are indicative of the era, but just naming them after Downton Abbey characters just seems like a marketing move to me. Not that they aren't pretty, but unless you can put Mary or Edith in one of those fabrics, name them something else.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:46 AM

Hmm. Downton seems to have spawned a whole range of stuff, including jewellery. Last series finished a few weeks ago, but there's a special on Christmas Day.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:47 AM

I am so glad to read about this discussion because I feel the same way - that while they may represent the fabrics of the times, they are very difficult to work into a quilt. I know that they are being sold as quilting fabrics - and Andover has a 6-print contract with the BBC - which means that there will be 6 more complete collection (probably about 3 years worth), so I'm hoping that feedback from the shop owners and their quilting customers will help them see that we need fabrics that are also tailored to the industry. I think that what you all have posted is VERY representative of quilters everywhere.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-28-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:50 AM

I must be in the minority - because I really love these fabrics…..I can see using these in a crazy quilt - or in one of the older quilt patterns where we have light backgrounds, and many different medium and dark fabrics as accent pieces. I have a quilt my Grandmother made - and I plan to draft a pattern for a new one just like it, using these Downton Abby prints and a pale muslin colored solid as the background……….
Old 12-19-2013, 06:53 AM

I do LOVE the black---the others not so much. But I bet we will eventually see some beautiful quilts made out of them.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:37 AM

I only purchased one yard of the cream fabric that shows the Castle. The rest I was not interested in. By the way, I was able to watch the next season #4 free online and it's a GREAT season!!

Last edited by nygal; 12-19-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:23 AM
RST

Homespunhearth -- so I take it you have a shop or business?

See, I find the marketing of fabric lines so interesting.

n some cases, it seems like there is a lot of advance hoopla and bloggers get fabrics to make up inspiration quilts, and there's a lot of "chatter: -- then when the line is finally available, it feels like a letdown -- case in point for me was Sherbert Pips -- a very cute line, but I'd seen so many bloggers make up quilts before it was even in shops, I didn't feel very inspired to buy it and make it my own.

Then other times, it seems like there is a line that gets a lot of buildup online due to a tie-in to some other cultural phenomenon, Downton Abbey seems like a case in point. People who quilt and people who watch PBS show must be overlapping circles on a venn diagram? And there's a lot of build up that way, but the actual fabrics -- I look at them, say, those a nice, but I don't really know just how I would want to put them together. I've seen the patterns on the Andover site. They're ok, but a bit lackluster. I think I would need some kind of external push to want to pick these fabrics to be the ones I spend my Christmas and birthday money on, cause just sitting there on the bolt, there's not compelling me.