Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Downton Abbey Fabric line >

Downton Abbey Fabric line

Downton Abbey Fabric line

Old 12-19-2013, 10:34 AM

No, love the series but have no desire for the fabric. But then I'm a bright batiks gal, doesn't fit the era.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:01 PM

Yes! I'm a fan of DOWNTON ABBEY and very much a fan of that era. To me, 1918 is just about the most interesting turning point in Western civ. history and I love anything that's authentically Edwardian. I'll definitely check out the free DA patterns! Thanks!
~ Cindy
Old 12-19-2013, 12:42 PM

I think the fabrics are really nice, and old fashion.. Here is a page of different ideas, and some quilt pics..https://www.google.com/search?

q=downton+abbey+fabric&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=k1izUoHALcjCoAT2_IGACw&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=986&bih=649
Old 12-19-2013, 02:39 PM

Well that is the Downton Castle not the fabric..oops.. Very interesting though...will have to be copy and paste, but might be worth the trouble..

q=downton+abbey+fabric&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=J3SzUqDXB5DroASIv4GQCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEMQsAQ
Old 12-19-2013, 02:39 PM

My granddaughter is a teacher, she and I watch the series. I made her a lovely tote with the fabric. I used the burgundy collection, Mary's solid and the Dowagers print in stripe for the body, and Sybil's dots for the base and lining. Put a very pretty "antiquish" button on it. I love it. Wish I could find the image icon so I could do pictures.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
Homespunhearth -- so I take it you have a shop or business?

..... Downton Abbey seems like a case in point. People who quilt and people who watch PBS show must be overlapping circles on a venn diagram? And there's a lot of build up that way, but the actual fabrics -- I look at them, say, those a nice, but I don't really know just how I would want to put them together. I've seen the patterns on the Andover site. They're ok, but a bit lackluster. I think I would need some kind of external push to want to pick these fabrics to be the ones I spend my Christmas and birthday money on, cause just sitting there on the bolt, there's not compelling me.
Yes, we do have, and I don't think this is the first time we've run into this scenario -( love the "venn diagram" visual btw .. ). Now, I know a lot of us watch home improvement shows, so everybody was really excited when cutie-pie Ty Pennington's first fabric line was introduced ... made us feel more part of the show if we could own some. But, the fabrics were (are) a harder sell than others, simply because they lend themselves to be more home dec type fabrics. And, like Downton Abbey, we found the quilts designed to sell the fabrics lacking in originality -- something that I believe these types of fabrics need to set them apart. Thus, keeping these DA fab wrapped up until we feel more inspired an do a bit more brainstorming around here. You gotta spend that Christmas an BDay money on something you love!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:02 PM

I just bought the last of what I need to finish Lady Sybil's quilt, along with all of the patterns so far. The fabrics are beautiful and can't wait for the backing fabric to come. I'm not sure when I'll get started, depends on weather I take my sewing machine, etc., with me when I leave for Florida for three months in early Jan. I'll try to post pics as I progress since I'm new here and will have to learn how. Wish me luck!
Old 12-20-2013, 02:03 PM

BTW, I forgot to say that I'm a DA junkie, can't get enough of it.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:49 PM

No, and have never watched the show....
Old 12-20-2013, 03:03 PM

The fabrics in the first grouping sure did speak my name! Will be watching for them when I can go shopping.