Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dresden Plate Butterfly >

Dresden Plate Butterfly

Dresden Plate Butterfly

Old 06-18-2007, 11:07 AM

You are probably correct - my husband has been retired for three years and said he doesn't have any idea how he can't get things done now but always managed to while he was working.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

:) :D I actually thought it would be butterflies all around the Plate. Just a thought. BJR
Old 06-28-2007, 06:39 PM

I am new to the quilting forum..I read your question about the butterfly quilt. I looked at the web site you found. I love the butterflies.
Now I hope some of you can help me.

I have a question. Years ago my mother embroidered by hand, 30 butterfly quilt squares. They are absolutely beautiful. None of them are the same color; they are the same outline pattern, but each butterfly is a different colors. She embroidered them on unbleached muslin, which I am almost positive she did not pre-wash
I would like to pre-wash the squares before I try putting them together. Since they are all outlined in black thread, I am afraid the thread will run on the muslin. I am also afraid the other colors will run as well.
My question is , how can I wash these squares to prevent them from being distorted and the colors running and ruining them. I have had them at least 15 years sealed in an air tight plastic bag. Waiting until I retired and had the time to quilt them. They are priceless to me.!!! I am now retired and still do not have time, but I truly intend to do this quilt.
I certainly do not want to ruin them. I want to hand this down to my grand daughter some day. thanks for listening to me. Hope you can help me. ..Dorsa
Old 07-02-2007, 10:43 AM

I was told if you wash them in cold water with a little vinager in it that the colors would set and not run. I have not tried it.

Ladies (and Tim) - have you tried it?

And, you might want to go to the Hints from Heloise site and ask Ponce. (Her mom was the original Heloise - Ponce went to the same High School I did). I imagine she could find out something.