Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Driving me crazy! >

Driving me crazy!

Driving me crazy!

Old 08-10-2014, 03:48 AM

I hope that quilt isn't too big...sounds like a lot of work crouching yarn on the seams! Really sounds like that brown yarn is a bit thicker and therefore causing it not to flow under that foot well......don't keep that tension so high that you see the bottom thread on the top! Loosen it up a bit........hopefully the next time you do HST your seams will be more precise and you will not have to fudge by crouching yarn over them.....
Old 08-10-2014, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I hope that quilt isn't too big...sounds like a lot of work crouching yarn on the seams! Really sounds like that brown yarn is a bit thicker and therefore causing it not to flow under that foot well......don't keep that tension so high that you see the bottom thread on the top! Loosen it up a bit........hopefully the next time you do HST your seams will be more precise and you will not have to fudge by crouching yarn over them.....
It is a queen size quilt! I was trying a new piecing technique (see http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t242500.html), which I understand a lot better now. I'm afraid raising the tension is the only thing that's going to work.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
If it does ok on the blue, but only has problems with the brown, I doubt it would be a machine problem. I notice in your photos that the problem seems to occur at the intersections of four fabrics. Also, the bobbin thread isn't catching. I'd try changing the needle. A sharper needle might be able to go through all those layers easier and catch the bobbin thread.
And that is why your a Super Member Penny, I'm a beginner so don't know much but you pointed out that it was at the intersection, I didn't even notice that. Ya gotta respect the awesome people on the QB
Old 08-10-2014, 02:42 PM

Carol I looked back at your quilt it's beautiful, I'd be tickled pink with that good of a top, mine are slooowly getting there. Penny I see your a Senior but you should be a Super actually there are a lot of people here that should be Super...not just going by the amount of posts, y'all are great in my mind!
Old 08-10-2014, 02:45 PM

I took the quilt to my guild today to see if anyone had some additional advice. A very expert quilter suggested that I lower the pressure on the presser foot. I didn't even know that I could, but when I got home, I tried that, and it improved the situation somewhat. She also suggested that I use a walking foot instead of the couching foot, something I was reluctant to do, because the couching foot makes the couching so much easier. But I tried it, and it worked, and the couching isn't too bad without the couching foot, so I think I'm in business. I also used a larger needle, as some of you suggested. It's the bulk at the intersection of all those seams that is causing the problem, so lowering the pressure and providing the dual feeding seems to do the trick. Thanks to all!
Old 08-10-2014, 05:18 PM

I would try a top stitch needle
Old 08-10-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by scrappy happy View Post
I would try a top stitch needle
I'm using a topstitch needle.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Gay

Try filling the bobbin with the yarn, loosen the bobbin tension a few turns, use a straight stitch with matching thread, and sew with the back of the quilt facing up. I do a lot of decorative work this way using a variety of threads like pearl crochet etc. I do have an extra bobbin casing with looser tension for this. Test the tension out on scrap fabric first. Hope this will help.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:04 AM

OK....here it goes. I looked at the responses from your first post asking what to do. Six pages of responses from quilters around the world suggested to leave this beautiful quilt as is. I did not pick up on anyone suggesting putting yarn on your quilt. Since you asked, I would take what yarn you have put on the quilt off. It is a beautilful quilt and no one is going to mention or see some of the seams that are not matched. The over all illusion of the exploding star is the theme of the quilt. The only time I have heard of couching fuzzy type yarn would be maybe for a wall quilt, or for tying a quilt. Think about the next 50 years of this quilt. It is cotton the batting is cotton, the thread is probably cotton and your yarn is acrylic? What is going to happen when you wash it? Which by the way,after quilting it, then washing it, all of your problems will be solved (if you take off the yarn) I don't know how much you have done...but the advice given in your first post, six pages worth, was the best solution for your perceived issue. I don't see it from the end of the bed view. Quilt this beautiful quilt with thread, not yarn?, and admire your hard work. You will receive so many compliments. All this said, say no to no more couching yarn, take out what is there, quilt it. Otherwise, in the future recipients of the quilt would never say the seams don't match, they will be wondering why you put yarn on this beautiful quilt. Best wishes in your endeavors, but I would listen to your first opinions.

Last edited by Lady Diana; 08-11-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:09 AM

I too just went to your original post and thought.....why? .........it is great as is...don't be so critical of yourself......use the yarn to crochet/ knit something! Jmho