Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drying quilts with wool batting >

Drying quilts with wool batting

Drying quilts with wool batting

Old 03-01-2014, 10:15 AM

Default Drying quilts with wool batting

Mornin', everyone. .

For the first time I have used wool batting instead of the 80/20 cotton/poly blend. The quilting is quite dense, more dense than I wanted/expected, but the lady who did the quilting did a truly awesome job and it is gorgeous. Anyhow, because the quilting is so dense, the quilt is very stiff. It would be beautiful hanging on a wall, but is a gift for my 25 y/o daughter for her bed.

In the past I have washed and dried my quilts in the dryer because I like the resulting softer look and feel. However, the washing instructions that came with the wool batting indicate it should be dried flat, not in the clothes dryer, due to possible shrinkage.

My LQS friend told me she always uses wool batting in her quilts and washes and dries them by machine, no problem. (I didn't buy my wool batting from her store, so the batting in my quilt could very well be a different brand of wool batting, not sure if that would matter.)

So I'm wondering: do I dare throw it in the washer/dryer in an effort to soften it up? Because it is quilted so densely (I'm talking about barely an inch between quilting lines) would it shrink significantly anyway? Would washing/drying even make it appreciably softer, given the dense quilting?

On a side note, I slept under the quilt last night (gotta try these things out, right?) and it is much warmer than my other quilts. Also love how the quilting lines make the top puffy, almost like miniature trapunto. Overall I like the wool, aside from the issue of how to care for it.

Thanks for reading! I appreciate your feedback.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

The best place to get your answer would be to check the packaging that your wool batting came in.
Just as it should list the quilting distances, it should give you the wash/dry instructions.

I have not used wool yet ... and am considering ordering it in an LQS pre-order sale.
Likewise silk!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:44 AM

I have the washing instructions that came with the batting, which say to dry it flat. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience going against the instructions by putting it in the dryer. For one thing, I don't have a space big enough to lay it out flat and wait for it to dry.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

WOW, that is hard to say. You could try it in the dryer with NO HEAT, just air fluff and check on it every 10 to 15 minutes. When I started quilting, you COULD NOT WASH QUILTS WITH WOOL batting !!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

The brand of wool batting matters. What is the brand? If it's Hobbs or Quilter's Dream, you will be fine machine drying it.

The way wool batting is manufactured has changed radically over the years. Hobbs and QD both use techniques that limit shrinkage to a very acceptable amount. Not every brand uses the more modern manufacturing methods, so you do need to be more cautious with off-brands (and especially with homemade wool battings!).

Last edited by Prism99; 03-01-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:09 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I ONLY use wool batting and I use all different brands. I throw them in the dryer all the time with no problem. There is the same shrinkage as with cotton batting. I've never had a problem. I love the warmth of wool, also, so that's why I only use it. But not with wall hangings or table toppers. Then I use 100% cotton. But in my experience, no problem in the dryer unless you don't like a little, and I mean a little, shrinkage. IMOO and experience.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:12 PM

i have thrown my wool batt quilts into the dryer, but when i tend to pull them out while damp and hang them. inthe summer i just lie them flat to dry. i only wash my quilts maybe once a year though...

dryers are really hard on textiles.

i love wool quilts. we live in a winter country and they really are much warmer.

aileen
Old 03-01-2014, 02:58 PM

I also just used wool on my quilt...I put it over a layer of warm and natural. FMQ was dense. I dried it till slightly damp in dyer. No issues. washed on gentle
Old 03-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I would not be happy if my quilt was quilted so dense. I would want more space. It's one thing if it was more dense in one area than the other that all depends on the design. I think it can be just as warm with out being so densely quilted. I am happy for you that it is warm enough for you.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

I have used Hobbs Wool and Dream Wool battings many times and have always machine washed/dried them- they come out fluffy, light, soft- wonderful! I do not know what (brand) of wool batting you have used- if it is some other brand I would follow it's instructions, or take a chance (what I would probably do) and try drying it on low heat in your dryer- or, if you have any of it left put together a small (quilt sandwich) with the left over, zigzag the edges- do a bit of quilting across it to hold it and try washing/drying it. see how it comes out-