Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Dull Rotary Blade Resolved

Likely I am not the only one that does this, however, I was cutting 5" squares when my blade just didn't cut clean anymore.
    So I just scored fabric with the dull blade and cut with scissors.
    The neat thing is that the scoring held the pieces tight and I could cut 3 to 4 at a time.Keep your scissors sharpened.

Try flipping the blade around and adding a drop of oil. Sometimes this makes them good as new.... Or get some Harbor Freight Carpet Cutting blades that work in our 45 mm cutters for $1.99 a 2 pack....

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    Try flipping the blade around and adding a drop of oil. Sometimes this makes them good as new.... Or get some Harbor Freight Carpet Cutting blades that work in our 45 mm cutters for $1.99 a 2 pack....

Thanks, I keep forgetting to do that. Like I forget so many other things.
    :roll:

Wow, I just ordered the Harbor Frght. Blades From the Company.
    Right now they are $1.49 for 2 packs. Such a Deal.

SMR
    Never thought about turning blade over or drop of oil to improve cutting, thanks for the hint.

Blog Entries
    Newbie question for you. When replacing dull rotary blades do I need to stay with the same brand blade as my rotary cutter? Quite a price difference between brands of rotary blades

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Kitten View Post
    Newbie question for you. When replacing dull rotary blades do I need to stay with the same brand blade as my rotary cutter? Quite a price difference between brands of rotary blades
    No, all rotary blades are alike. Another cheap place to buy is jhittle.
    http://jhittlesewing.com/sewing/catalog.php
    Adapt! Improvise! Overcome!

I agree that all rotary blades are interchangeable. I wonder if they are all made in the same factory with different names etched into them and different packaging. Just something I've wondered.

Wow.. wish I'd found this thread yesterday, before I ordered new rotary blades. My local quilt shop owner told me you HAD to use the same brand blade as your cutter. hummmmm...........

Blog Entries
    Quilt in a Day had a big sale on rotary blades before Christmas. 10 pack for $15. I bought 3 packs. I'm still using the blades I bought at a great clearance three years ago from Hancocks. it really saves money to buy the basics when you see them a great sale to stock up. I post the clearance sales on the Links and Resources page when I find them.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem View Post
    No, all rotary blades are alike. Another cheap place to buy is jhittle.
    http://jhittlesewing.com/sewing/catalog.php
    Not true. Putting Olfa blades in my Fiskars cutter makes it turn like a car with a flat tyre. I have to use Fiskars blades in it, which have a completely round hole.
    Haven't tried the Harbor Freight ones yet, but I know some people swear by them, whilst others hate them.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
    Wow.. wish I'd found this thread yesterday, before I ordered new rotary blades. My local quilt shop owner told me you HAD to use the same brand blade as your cutter. hummmmm...........
    Makes you wonder if the owner is really that ignorant about quilting products are just greedy.

If the blades have the same hole configuration they fit.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 12-28-2012 at 08:10 AM.
    Got fabric?

You can get fantastic deals on blades here. I buy from them all the time and highly recommend them.
    http://www.jhittlesewing.com/visitor/index_jhs.html

Blog Entries
    to quiltnchik: went to site, been looking a long time for reasonable prices, thank you thank you
    Last edited by BJquilt; 12-28-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: to quiltnchik

Got 5 pkgs of blades from Harbor Freight for Christmas, haven't tried them yet. If (10 blades @ 1.99/2) for less than 10 dollars is cheapest I know of anywhere.And, some say are sharper than most.

Bella Boo, I have a Ofla cutter. Thinking the hole configuration is different from a Fiskars?

I did try out the blades from Harbor Frieght when they were first mentioned here. The ones I got did not cut very well at all, to my disappointment. I did find the right cutting mat does make a difference in keeping the blades sharp as long as possible. The smoother the mat is, the better. I got mine at a sewing/quilt expo as a show special. It is made in USA and three web sites are available. www.sewingemporium.com, www.seweasyproducts.com and [email protected]. These came off the sheet received with the mat....I do not have any connection with this outfit except as a customer. One small concern is that the margins are kinda wide, so I extended the grid lines with a fine permanent marker. No regrets in buying this product...it even has a five year warranty.