Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb, dumb! >

Dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb, dumb!

Dumb, dumb,dumb, dumb, dumb!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:41 AM

You don't say what brand of sewing machine you have, but if it's a newer Bernina, they are aware of this problem and are supposed to be sending out replacement parts for the fix. I keep checking with my dealer, but they haven't received the parts yet.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:19 AM

Sounds like a really good tip to look out for ..... especially since many of us are on a roll to get gifts made for the up-coming holidays ! I can just see all those thread cones being moved far away from our machines ! LOL Thanks for the reminder !
Old 11-01-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Years ago someone at Houston taught me to tape a safety pin, with the little round circle end pointed up, to the top/back of the machine between the hand wheel and the thread uptake lever. Thread the cone thread thru the little circle and continue on with the usual thread path.

This has always helped me avoid the problem you describe.

Jan in VA
Thank you Jan, you just solved a big problem that was stopping me from using my thread cones. Eureka!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:03 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]444413[/ATTACH]
My DH made this, and it has a hook way at the top to thread through, so it stays way above the wheel. I didn't even think about it getting caught in the wheel till I read your post.
Attached Thumbnails threadstand.jpg  
Old 11-01-2013, 12:52 PM

I was having that problem a lot until I bought sleeves for the cone threads. The sleeve helps feed the thread without it slipping over the top of the cone.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
Judy, Just curious. Is it serger cone thread that you are using in your machine? Are you using it to machine quilt? I sometimes load bobbins for utility sewing with serger cone thread but I don't sew with it in my regular sewing machine.
No, I have used a cone with no problem (knock on wood). I had the thread holder attached to the back of the machine--the one that holds several spools of thread when you do embroidery. One of the spools had on it at the end apparently had a long tail that somehow got into the wheel. I didn't see it and it just kept winding it on until the wheel couldn't turn. I picked it up today and the mechanic had a note attached that said there were "several yards" of thread wound around the shaft. He sent back a little bag of some of it to show me. He said, "watch for loose thread ends--could get caught on handwheel or motor shaft." Ya think? Lol. Lesson learned. I figure I'm lucky it didn't cost me more that $20!

Glad I could post useful info. Thanks, Bella, for the tip with the safety pin. I will remember that one!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:03 PM

Sorry, I meant thanks Jan for the tip of the pin.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
It STILL occurs occasionally with me when I leave an extra spool of thread on the second spindle of my Bernina. Hope you had your machine serviced at the same time !
Oh, of course not! I had just had it serviced abt. 3 wks ago! lol
Old 11-01-2013, 05:17 PM

Thank you all! I just started using cone thread and never thought about it. I pick up my machine tomorrow from a checkup. Would really be angry if I messed it up.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

If you think about it the wheel turning at a high speed creates a suction of sorts, like a tornado? The thread gets taken up with the spinning wheel.