Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dumb newbie question >

Dumb newbie question

Dumb newbie question

Old 08-02-2014, 06:02 AM

First, there are no stupid questions (just the ones not asked!). Second, even though you are a newbie, you are already thinking out of the box (or block, I guess). Good for you. Quilts that use different blocks are always so interesting, and when you make a sampler quilt it's truly one of a kind! Go for it. But please post pictures, because we would love to see it!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:08 AM

Be brave with "dumb" questions. You never know how many are out there desperately wanting to know but too timid to ask. Help out your shy quilters!!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:21 AM

First - there are no dumb questions. You can do whatever you want in your quilt. Often the patterns shown in quilting magazines are two blocks. One that's seen frequently is a 9 patch with a snowball block. Someone else has also mentioned that many different blocks makes a "sampler."

The only guidance I would give is to try to do two blocks that use the same number of squares, so, match a 9 patch with a star that is based on a 9 patch block (one you can draw in 3 squares by 3 squares). But whatever you choose draw out at least 4 block for your quilt on graph paper or in quilting software.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:43 AM

It is your quilt and should be your artistic design. It sounds like it would be beautiful. I for one like to get away from what everyone else is doing and do my own thing sometime and it is so much fun.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:10 AM

If it is pleasing to your eye - IT WORKS! You may want to do an odd amount of each block rather than even numbers. It is always a good idea to lay out the blocks (if you don't have a design wall yet, lay them out on a sheet on the floor and stand high on a chair to look down on them), in this case, it is very necessary. You may discover a pattern within a pattern that looks good or diagonal placement. Have fun with it - it is one of my favorite parts to working with a quilt.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

I once made a sampler quilt with 12 different blocks. No one can tell you what to do with your own fabric. I say go for it.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:37 PM

Rose at Ludlow Quilts comes up with so many interesting quilts by combining blocks. I really like this one recently posted: http://www.ludlowquiltandsew.co.uk/2...ItkVGBrwfFJL6K

You can follow her blog and get regular tutorials on how to make them, free!

Hugs and smiles!!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:09 AM

You have gotten many excellent answers - many that I would have given like the graph paper and it's YOUR quilt. Here is what I will add: 1. Make sure your cutting and 1/4 inch seam are accurate, 2. If you don't already know how to square up your blocks have someone teach you, 3. Press don't iron when quilting. All things I have had to learn the hard way. Go to the hardware store and get a peephole. Look at your layout the backwards way (looks far away). It helps you see if you have colors and values evenly distributed. Take a photo of your layout and study it. Better to catch a mistake at that stage rather than when it is all sewn together. Take some time to read some quilting blogs. Some I recommend are Oh, Fransson!, Cut to Pieces, Crazy mom Quilts, poppy print, Red Pepper Quilts, In Color Order, Quilt Dad, House on Hill Road, Hyacinth Quilts, Pretty Bobbins and there are many more good ones. I won't live long enough to make all the ideas I have bookmarked from reading blogs. Finally, spend the money on quality fabric and thread. The time you spend on a project deserves it. Words of wisdom from a twelve year veteran.