Dust

Old 03-19-2010, 02:33 PM

Get a HEPA vacuum (with a high efficiency particulate filter), dust with a damp cloth (to trap the dust) and clean/replace your heater filters every 3 months with HEPA style ones. And clean your floors and everything else often. I have a very allergic dog and I do that for her. A pain, but it definitely helps.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:34 PM

I recommend a maid who can do the deep clean each week for you, you can focus on quilting then!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
My father was allergic to dust - they bought a whole house air filtration system and that did the trick.
I am allergic to a lot of stuff, weeds, grasses, trees (about 25), dust, cats & dogs....

I take generic Claritin every day of the year, and use Nasonex. We have cats and dogs, but did cut down our 60' Sycamore tree in our backyard. Bakersfield is dust central, so, not much I can do about that. We have a HEPA filter in our central a/c & heat unit. It helps.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:32 PM

Hubby is also allergic to dust, but only when it gets stirred up. Dust sitting still on things doesn't bother him at all. So I just stopped cleaning and that seemed to do the trick .... tehehehehheeh :)
Old 03-19-2010, 03:47 PM

My daughter has asthma, no drapes, curtains, or knick knacks. Tile floor, clothes stored in another room, Put a door mat by the door in room you quilt in to catch the bits and pieces. Keep the humidity up on dry days, the more moisture in the air keeps the dust from floating around.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the tips. He also found out he is allergic to several foods! Onions, nuts (except almonds), strawberries, oats, eat yolks. Oh, and two of the meds he is on aren't helping either, so they are working on changing those.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:21 AM

So sad to see/hear DUST getting so mich notoriety---which reminds me that I probably should do that domestic duty--and then get over that guilt so I can enjoy Natl Quilting Day! Hope you all do too.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:30 AM

If I don't wash my room-Pergo floors, curtains, everything in the room AND alllll my bedding-My nose and throat let me know. I used to take weekly allergy shots, but now I use Allegra every day, and have recently noticed some improvement using a Netty pot (non-invasive).
Also, I have to wash all my bedding with De-mite or in hot water. Needless to say, my quilts take a beating. So, I tried a duvet.

However, a duvet 1, hides the quilt and 2, is a chore to use when removing the quilt before washing (every two weekes. I went back to using a quilt.

I finally made a simple panel quilt that I wash frequently.
(I tied it and machine quilted it-it's strong.)

All the above help me.
Good luck!
Old 03-20-2010, 11:27 AM

There is a place down the road from me that is a duct cleaning company. I see them advertised alot and it says it helps to clean out your ducts every few years, you'd be amazed how much dust accumulates in there.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:52 PM

When my husband went for allergy testing, I asked him not to be allergic to house dust. Of course, I didn't get my wish. His main allergies are house dust & animal dander. We don't have pets, I stored or got rid of most of the knick knacks, no carpet in the bedroom. My husband would like carpet throughout the whole house & I said that is a bad idea with his allergies. I try to clean a little more often but I'm not sure I will ever have a dust free house.