Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dying Your Own Fabric for Quilts??? >

Dying Your Own Fabric for Quilts???

Dying Your Own Fabric for Quilts???

Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SueSew
Originally Posted by ckcowl
I have been including my own dyed fabrics in each of my quilts for years now- a great book is:
the dyer's bible-
there are quite a few good books available on the subject.
I recommend visiting Dharma Trading company
they carry all of the supplies needed- offer lots of free information, tutorials and the customer service staff is great answering questions and helping if there is a problem.
no it is not (hard) to dye your own fabrics, it is easy, fun and can get you those colors/designs you just can not find in the stores.
How do you dye designs in the fabric? Wax? tie-dye? silk-screen? are they washable? That sounds like something messy and fun!
RESIST is the easiest way....doing was batiking takes a lot of time, skill and specialized steamers to remove the was...

I carry ALL of the dye chemicals, resists, dye kits, and even books! Just check my siggy line! I have been dying and teaching about it for about 8 years now....just note that MOST of the batik looks quilters like, actually involve PAINT....BUT you can get some nice pieces with just dying as well.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:58 AM

thank you Jacquie I checked your ebay and etsy stores and got the links - I'm going to try dying but maybe not until fall/winter - too much going on now.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Banned

thank you Jacquie I checked your ebay and etsy stores and got the links - I'm going to try dying but maybe not until fall/winter - too much going on now.
if dying in the fall/winter, you must do it indoors with adequate ventilation and warmth....dyes need to batch a constant temp of about 70-75...once they cool, they lose their potency.

It is tons of fun though and VERY addictive!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:44 AM

uh-oh, I was planning on using the barn, where I can make a mess and Mr Fussy (my husband) won't care. It's cold in there! Thanks for the tip. Well, time to get planning.
Thanks again
Sue
Old 04-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Banned

uh-oh, I was planning on using the barn, where I can make a mess and Mr Fussy (my husband) won't care. It's cold in there! Thanks for the tip. Well, time to get planning.
Thanks again
Sue
you could use the barn, away from draft, and put some heating pads on a table, cover with a thick towel and a cheap plastic table cloth, then using a cheap (dollar store) plastic cat litter pan or old roasting pan, do low water immersion dying in ziploc bags put the bags in the pan on the heating pads and then cover with a towel and the heat should stay while they 'batch" for 24 hours!

I have to be creative and have done lots of different things..especially when I started dying while living in the Alaska bush..winter was the best time to dye, but it would get down to -70! I just used the top of my freezer and covered with heavy blankets and the temps stayed good....

here is some "eye candy" to keep you motivated!

done with discharge dying, water color pencils, and ink!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179134[/ATTACH]

this piece was painted, dyed, then discharged, and colored back in with pencils and ink!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179135[/ATTACH]

hand dyed brights on black
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179136[/ATTACH]

fabrics dyed to match the polka dotted fabric for a guild challenge
[ATTACH=CONFIG]179137[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-179128.jpe   attachment-179129.jpe   attachment-179130.jpe   attachment-179131.jpe  
Old 04-03-2011, 01:04 PM

I dye my own fabrics when I want different gradations of the multiple colors (Twisted log), and I used a large stock pot. Worked fabulously. I got the info from googling on line and there were so many suggestions.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:14 AM

Wow, I love your work. And how you used the fabric in such attractive quilts! I am going to try this for myself and see what I come up with. As soon as all the garden is in and all it needs is 'grooming' - AKA weeding - I am going to get a book and get started.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Jacquie, those are SO pretty! I have only done alittle dying with wool and yarn, never cotton...those are SO pretty!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Banned

Wow, I love your work. And how you used the fabric in such attractive quilts! I am going to try this for myself and see what I come up with. As soon as all the garden is in and all it needs is 'grooming' - AKA weeding - I am going to get a book and get started.
gather your stuff..make NOTE cards for the steps,
prep your fabric and store in a sealed bin or baggie and then when you are ready it only takes 5 minutes to mix the dyes and pour them on...then they have to sit for 24 hours to get their color....it is the triple rinsing that takes time...and I line dry....so it goes pretty quick..just don't plan to do 50 pieces at one time..limit yourself to say 3-6 the first time...and only do 1/2 yards or even FQ's...smaller containers can be used and less rinsing time....