Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: e-bay goof up!

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by missgigglewings
    If your highest bid was $4700.00 why did she accept $70.00? Guess I don't understand how the bidding works...
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/automatic-bidding.html

Make very sure you understand how it works before playing in that sandbox.

And then, when you've mastered proxy bidding, you can move right on up to "sniping." :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

fwiw, I never, ever proxy bid. I snipe.

You can dispute this I had someone do this to me she stated that she made an error inputing the amount it is obvious what you did and ebay should stop the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    If your highest bid was $4700.00 why did she accept $70.00? Guess I don't understand how the bidding works...

And then, when you've mastered proxy bidding, you can move right on up to "sniping." :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rest assured...I will never snipe in that sandbox!!!

Blog Entries
    I did something like that one time and retracted my bid without any problems. I did email the seller to let them know of my mistake.

MTS
    Banned
    Rest assured...I will never snipe in that sandbox!!!
    But it's really the best way to bid. :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger
    OUCH ! I did not know it was "bidding" I thought it was voting.. Naive yes, I "won" 15 Fenton Glass Slippers. eventually I quit answering the door as the mail man rang the door bell. My husband and kids still kid me. Lots of glass slippers laid at my door step ! Hah !
    My goal was one or two. so embarrassing.

you were lucky that the highest bid was only 70.00 !! OUCH

I'm sorry but this is just too funny.....laughing with you...not at you....hope you're enjoying those Fenton Glass Slippers! :-D

Blog Entries
    I did the same thing once but I immediately cancelled the bid and explained why to EBay. They understood and removed the bid from that auction. Can't remember what it was for. It was a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
    Yesterday I was skimming through the quilting section of E-Bay and saw a double wedding ring quilt up for auction. Well....the bid was $46.00 so I decided to bid $47.00 and see what happens. Well, I hit confirm and as I did I noticed that my maximum bid was $4,700.00 instead of $47.00. Needless to say, I won the auction but the winning bid was $70.00. That was a little more than I could pay but knowing the rules, I made the bid and have to live with it. I did e-mail the seller to see if she would take sympathy on me, but I guess the money talked louder than I did. Be careful when you bid that you don't get a twitch and bid too high!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
    Yesterday I was skimming through the quilting section of E-Bay and saw a double wedding ring quilt up for auction. Well....the bid was $46.00 so I decided to bid $47.00 and see what happens. Well, I hit confirm and as I did I noticed that my maximum bid was $4,700.00 instead of $47.00. Needless to say, I won the auction but the winning bid was $70.00. That was a little more than I could pay but knowing the rules, I made the bid and have to live with it. I did e-mail the seller to see if she would take sympathy on me, but I guess the money talked louder than I did. Be careful when you bid that you don't get a twitch and bid too high!
    Oh my goodness, so you are going to have to pay $4,700.00 for that quilt? How could that be if the winning bid was $70.00. I'm not much of an ebay shopper, because of things like this that would most likely happen to me.

What I have done in this situation is get to the EBay help line immediately. They can remove your bid as an error.

You can withdraw your bid if you see a mistake like that. BUT you need to do it Right away. They ask why you are withdrawing and you state that reason It happened to me once and I had no problem with the seller or ebay. BUT like I said you have to do it as soon as you see your mistake NOT after the auction

Blog Entries
    Ok, what is "sniping"? Gotta know if I've ever done it. I know all about maximum bids!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Maia B
    If you correct this mistake pronto, eBay WILL fix it. You can follow the steps to retract or correct your bid. Just has to be prompt. You would NOT be obligated to pay the $4,700. If it happened to me, I'd just contact eBay and the seller lickety-split and clear it up. Honestly, $70 sounds good for a nice DWR in good shape.
    I was just going to say the same thing...If you let Ebay know ASAP that it was a bid in error...they will cancel the bid. I had a customer do almost the same thing you did....and yes I sold it to the previous bidder, because my lady didn't want it after all this.

I did that once years ago, and I found out that if you retract your bid within about five minutes or so, (back then, anyway) Ebay will cancel your bid. So I cancelled the incorrect amount and then re-bid with the amount I meant to in the first place.

I'm glad it worked out alright for you!

There is a process for retracting a bid. I don't know how that works when the auction has closed, however. I'd look into it.

Like others said you can retract your bid for "entered wrong amt". I believe it will then prompt you to put in the amt you wished to bid.

Blog Entries
    MTS do you manually snipe or use one of the commercial services? I used one for a year due to the fact that they made it almost impossible to stop-had to write them could not email or cancel online...but I did like the way that works. You could put in multiple things with the intent to buy just 1 for the best price.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms
    Ok, what is "sniping"? Gotta know if I've ever done it. I know all about maximum bids!! LOL
    I sometimes use http://www.auctionstealers.com ; you get 3 free snipes a week. Basically what they do is enter your max bid in the last few seconds of bidding, giving others less of a chance to see your bid and outbid you. It's just like putting in your own max bid, except the service does it for you about 10 seconds before auction end.

oops, been there done that too, contacted seller just as soon as it was noticed and she somehow had it removed...

Quote Originally Posted by MTS

I'm with you. I don't proxy bid...I snipe. I have been buying/selling on Ebay since 1998. I would probably have given the backup bidder the chance to purchase and if they did then I would have let you off the hook. Ebay's fees are so high that you can't afford to just ignore the high bid because selling fees are based on this. Sometimes people have "buyer's remorse" or better put "bidder's remorse" and just decide they don't want to go through with it. The seller may not have thought that $70 was that high of a bid. (Granted, $47,000 would have been obvious). I commend you for following through with your bid. I did they same thing years ago and I just bit the bullet and paid for it. Believe me, from now on you will always check your bid before you hit confirm. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Check w/ebay because I've made a mistake in bidding as you did, and it was rescinded.

Blog Entries
    Sorry that happened, but on the positive side you have a great new quilt

I've retracted a bid when I accidentally bid more then I meant to.

Ouch! I've had that happen to me on ebay too. Just going too fast for my own good and not checking my bids! At least the seller I contacted was kind enough to understand. Sorry to hear your seller wasn't as kind.

Blog Entries
    In most cases one can retract a bid. Especially if there is time. If you bid a few minutes before the bidding is done you are usually stuck. But if you even have a half hour you can retract the too high bid.

I have done that several times on ebay. When that happens you can go right away and retract your bid unless its real close to time for the auction to end. If its a nice quilt then $70.00 is a good deal though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast