Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
e-bay goof up! >

e-bay goof up!

e-bay goof up!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
OUCH ! I did not know it was "bidding" I thought it was voting.. Naive yes, I "won" 15 Fenton Glass Slippers. eventually I quit answering the door as the mail man rang the door bell. My husband and kids still kid me. Lots of glass slippers laid at my door step ! Hah !
My goal was one or two. so embarrassing.

you were lucky that the highest bid was only 70.00 !! OUCH

I'm sorry but this is just too funny.....laughing with you...not at you....hope you're enjoying those Fenton Glass Slippers! :-D
Old 03-23-2011, 05:36 AM

I did the same thing once but I immediately cancelled the bid and explained why to EBay. They understood and removed the bid from that auction. Can't remember what it was for. It was a few years ago.

Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
Yesterday I was skimming through the quilting section of E-Bay and saw a double wedding ring quilt up for auction. Well....the bid was $46.00 so I decided to bid $47.00 and see what happens. Well, I hit confirm and as I did I noticed that my maximum bid was $4,700.00 instead of $47.00. Needless to say, I won the auction but the winning bid was $70.00. That was a little more than I could pay but knowing the rules, I made the bid and have to live with it. I did e-mail the seller to see if she would take sympathy on me, but I guess the money talked louder than I did. Be careful when you bid that you don't get a twitch and bid too high!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tennessee Suzi
Yesterday I was skimming through the quilting section of E-Bay and saw a double wedding ring quilt up for auction. Well....the bid was $46.00 so I decided to bid $47.00 and see what happens. Well, I hit confirm and as I did I noticed that my maximum bid was $4,700.00 instead of $47.00. Needless to say, I won the auction but the winning bid was $70.00. That was a little more than I could pay but knowing the rules, I made the bid and have to live with it. I did e-mail the seller to see if she would take sympathy on me, but I guess the money talked louder than I did. Be careful when you bid that you don't get a twitch and bid too high!
Oh my goodness, so you are going to have to pay $4,700.00 for that quilt? How could that be if the winning bid was $70.00. I'm not much of an ebay shopper, because of things like this that would most likely happen to me.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 AM

What I have done in this situation is get to the EBay help line immediately. They can remove your bid as an error.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 AM

You can withdraw your bid if you see a mistake like that. BUT you need to do it Right away. They ask why you are withdrawing and you state that reason It happened to me once and I had no problem with the seller or ebay. BUT like I said you have to do it as soon as you see your mistake NOT after the auction
Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 AM

Ok, what is "sniping"? Gotta know if I've ever done it. I know all about maximum bids!! LOL
Old 03-23-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
If you correct this mistake pronto, eBay WILL fix it. You can follow the steps to retract or correct your bid. Just has to be prompt. You would NOT be obligated to pay the $4,700. If it happened to me, I'd just contact eBay and the seller lickety-split and clear it up. Honestly, $70 sounds good for a nice DWR in good shape.
I was just going to say the same thing...If you let Ebay know ASAP that it was a bid in error...they will cancel the bid. I had a customer do almost the same thing you did....and yes I sold it to the previous bidder, because my lady didn't want it after all this.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:26 AM

I did that once years ago, and I found out that if you retract your bid within about five minutes or so, (back then, anyway) Ebay will cancel your bid. So I cancelled the incorrect amount and then re-bid with the amount I meant to in the first place.

I'm glad it worked out alright for you!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 AM

There is a process for retracting a bid. I don't know how that works when the auction has closed, however. I'd look into it.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:35 AM

Like others said you can retract your bid for "entered wrong amt". I believe it will then prompt you to put in the amt you wished to bid.