Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easiest Beginner Pattern? >

Easiest Beginner Pattern?

Easiest Beginner Pattern?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 AM

Default Easiest Beginner Pattern?

I am still new in quilting. Completing 9 quilted wall hangings and 11quilted checker board and one king size sofa cover. With several UFO's.

Our local Police Athletic League has asked me to start a beginners quilting class. These classes will be for at-risk kids in our city. The approach to these classes will be, quilting with whatever is available. (These kids only get meals when school is in session.) So teaching them to utilize what is at home, with permission will be the goal (less waste for the landfill).

There are 7 sewing machines that were donated about 7 plus years ago. Some need parts, some we have not had the chance to look at yet. I will have a very limited budget and hope to get some donations as well.

"MY" thoughts are to get dress shirts, dresses, etc. from the local resell shop for them to cut up and use.

What pattern should be used for a quick, lap quilt?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 AM
cjr

Asimple 9 patch that they can create into a lap for themselves. Use large blocks like 5" to 10 " size. 7" will allow usage of arms in shirts. if you are procuring fabrics, try to choose bright colors. "At risk" have enough bleakness. Thrift stores often have lots of sheets, comforters(most cheap store made) but could be used for batting and backing. Also drapes and table linens. Towels can be used for batting also. They may donate some to you. Get letter from PAL stating you are authorized solicitor. Maybe some of PAL members have above to donate to you.
Good Luck.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM

a simple jelly roll race (or 1600) quilt is fast and easy and they'll see quick results. Can also be made from scraps, left overs, donations (I used old pillowcases for my first attempt). It'll also be great to work in teams (cutting, ironing, sewing and then rotate the duties)
Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I LOVE the idea of the race quilt! No seams to match and fast results. How perfect can that be for these kids who might want to give up trying to get those seams just right. What an honor to teach kids something they could use thier whole life. (and maybe love doing?) You are one special lady.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:42 AM

I like the 1600 quilt the best for kids. Easy cutting and sewing. No matching seams.

Also, I wonder if you couldn't get a local sewing machine place to do the repairs for free in exchange for publicity. They can write it off as a donation for community service. this would be especially good if the sewing machine repair place was also a quilt fabric store. hint, hint.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM

Windwalker, pm me please. I will be back home on April 28th and have some goodies to help you in your mission.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:14 PM

String quilts are great for beginners. The sewing does not need to be perfect, and the blocks can be squared up and cut to size before assembling the quilt.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:05 AM

I made 3 one yd fabrics and cut them in a nine patch the centre being the focal of the quilt you will than put borders
around to make then larger you will end up with 3 lap quilts lay out centre of each fabric and arrange corneers and side panel so that each centre fabric has fabric from each do this until you are satisfied good luck.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 AM

Will you be teaching machine quilting, or will everything be done by hand? I suspect the latter, since many homes don't have machines.

When I started in Girl Scouts we cut and hand pieced a large nine patch that we then made into a pillow. I still have that pillow, and I think my sister (who learned two years later) still has hers.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 AM

Initially we will use sewing machines. My theory is the sooner they see results the more encouraged they will become. And by using the machines, that will encourage them to come to class on a regular basis since most will not have a machine at home. Once we get started and they see that they are only bound by their imagination we will attempt some hand work.

We will also incorporate some regular sewing and plan on taking a crock pot with some healthy snack inside for refreshments.

As we get details worked out, photos will be posted. If I can get internet restored at the class site I hope to bring this site to the kids as well. Posting photos of class sessions and their quilt creations.