Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Easiest and Preferred method for HST's??

Blog Entries
    I prefer Triangles on a Roll.

There's a free site for 1", 2", 3" and 4" HSQ. It is http://www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsq...glepaper.shtml

I use Thangles, but I only make 20 at a time. I also purchased the Triangulations software, but I haven't started the BOM quilt that I intended to use it for. Looks like a really great system for me.

Oh Thank YOU to everyone! I have enjoyed reading about all the different methods here. I was captivated by the Carpenter Wheel that was posted and want to try that for possibly quick christmas table-toppers for gifts. It is almost all half-squares and I never enjoyed making them the traditional way. I think I'll go with the Wonder Cut ruler. I have watched online tutes/videos and it does look fast and easy. I checked to see if JoAnn's carries this ruler, but they do not so I will have to order it online.

http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca/Hal...-Triangle.html

this site has HST papers that you can print out for FREE and the have lots of helpful tips and various sizes to choose from.

I sew two strips right sides together by running a quarter of an inch on both sides and then I cut triangles,alternating the sides so that there is no waste. Then I open the pointy part of the triangle and my HSTs are done.

Blog Entries
    I read about the Wonder Cut ruler and looked it up. Then I recognized it! I have one and have never used it. I looked up the instructions and am amazed. I'm going to use it now!!

I wonder what other rulers are in the bin. I'll have to go through them and see what else is there.

tmg
    I have the June Tailor and love it. I cut my squares a little bigger and trim them down.

Tia, do you like it better than the wonder-cut and have you used both? I think the June Tailor ruler is available at joann's and the other one has to be ordered. It's good to know so many members here do cut their squares a little larger and trim to size. I can definitely see the wisdom in doing that...i have never made one in the traditional way that wasn't wonky after pressing, even when certain they are cut perfectly and sewn perfectly--you trim the little corners and the square nearly always requires add'l trimming which decreases the finished size in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    This is interesting! I have not heard of either!

I just looked it up and found it for $22.36 at Connecting Threads... seems like a must have!

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...M__D90174.HTML
    I can second this. I almost lost my mind until I read about and purchased "Triangulations". Now I look for things with HST to do, it is no longer an impossible chore, it is FUN.

I don't like paper, so I just draw out a grid of squares and sew up a whole bunch at one. Here's the directions:
    http://www.kathkwilts.com/lessons/halfsqr.html

They make up fast and perfect.

I also find this is the easiest way to make HST's too.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyCook
    Quote Originally Posted by tjradj
    I use the Jenny Doan method of two different colour squares on top of each other, right sides together. Sew a 1/4" seam all around the outside 4 edges. Then cut them across corner to corner in a large X. Voila = 4 HST's
    I tried all sorts of methods and this one is by far the easiest and most accurate. It's incredibly fast, too.

I like this chart for the measurements:
    http://www.moonlightquilters.org/tipHSTfav.htm

I actually have Thangles in every size they make, I love them

I prefer to use Tiger Tape for HST's, but sometimes, if the initial square is big, I draw a diagonal line using a ruler and pencil and then sew 1/4" away on both sides.

I use the Jenny Doan method of two different colour squares on top of each other, right sides together. Sew a 1/4" seam all around the outside 4 edges. Then cut them across corner to corner in a large X. Voila = 4 HST's
    There is an illustration here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-136381-1.htm#4291084
    on how to cut your squares before sewing so that the finished edges of the triangles will be on the straight of the grain rather than the bias. Ann in TN

I use the Brenda Henning Triangulations 3.0 CD. It does QST in 1/8" increments, HST in 1/16" increments and Flying Geese in 1/4" increments. It's the only way to go. I put Brenda Henning Triangulations in Google Search and found the cheapest which was btwn $20. and $25.00. It's the only way to go.

This is the easiest method and you don't have to buy anything. :)

Since I just started quilting again after almost a year and I'm finishing a quilt I have already started, I haven't tried this but read about it and this seems so easy. I'd give this a try before buying anything.

well, I actually am going to try the Jenny Doan method because I don't have the specialty rulers and want to start today. Can someone here tell me how large to cut my big squares to get the 5" sized HST's? Would I just cut 11" big squares and then use my 5" square ruler to trim up afterward? I want to make the carpenter wheel for a table topper so I'll need it to be around 40" square with border and such.

Just found this method while making a quilt on the Esther Aliu blog-
    She has a "Half Square Triangle Fast Paper Method Template" that is super easy to use.
    You can find the sheets to run off for this method at http://www.quiltingandwhatnot.ca
    Free HST at the top of the page

Blog Entries
    I have the Trianglation software, it's great.
    I use the WonderCut ruler, it's great.
    I use the Thangles, it's great.
    June Taylor and Eleanor Burns rulers are great.
    I use the Accucut Go the most. It's super great.
    The Tiger Tape method is very easy but expensive to do a lot. and my friend sent me something new called Stitching Lines and I have used it a lot for more then just HST. there are two you tube videos how you can use Stitching Lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3BVwTiNnWM

That Doan method will leave you with bias edges, not good.
    You have to sew an x on the square to avoid bias edges.
    The tutorial even says this.
    Check out Quilt In A Day for making 8 HST at a time using the x method.
    The Wonder cut looks good for making them to size.
    I prefer to oversize and square up with one cut using El Burns ruler.

I use the Ta-Da Triangles. They are used on fat quarters and no paper to rip off.

cut them as a square and then cut them to size. Hate sewing them already cut.

This is my very favorite way, too. Easy peasy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast