Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easiest and Preferred method for HST's?? >

Easiest and Preferred method for HST's??

Easiest and Preferred method for HST's??

Old 09-25-2011, 07:11 AM

I've used thangles and like the accuracy, but removing the paper is very time consuming.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:12 AM

oops, double post.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:27 AM

Hi! I've been quilting forever (it seems like) and have purchased many gadgets for the perfect HST. The best thing I have found is pretty new....a bloc loc ruler. They are kinda pricey but the technique ends up with perfection!!!! I don't do alot of large blocks so the 6" square ruler is the one I grab all the time. The ruler has a ridge on the back of it that hugs the seam. Check out their website for a demo. Happy Quilting!!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:42 AM

Besides Connecting Threads where is the ruler available? I use the Thangles for mine ans wonder if its worth the price.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by mea12
I'm curious as to what you prefer for making HST's? I've seen eleanor's ruler and the one buy June Tailor. I lean a tad toward the June Tailor one but there are a lot of steps involved with that one. IS there a faster/easier way to make these?
I use my GO cutter for HST and love how they come out perfect. Maybe that is something you could check into. Good luck
Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gailinva
Hi! I've been quilting forever (it seems like) and have purchased many gadgets for the perfect HST. The best thing I have found is pretty new....a bloc loc ruler. They are kinda pricey but the technique ends up with perfection!!!! I don't do alot of large blocks so the 6" square ruler is the one I grab all the time. The ruler has a ridge on the back of it that hugs the seam. Check out their website for a demo. Happy Quilting!!!!
Those are way too expensive. I don't understand why a person needs this expensive ruler to square up a block. Square rulers have the diagonal line and all you have to do is line it up with your hst.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

If you purchase a Wondercut ruler and have any questions just PM me. I have spent a lot of time with the ladies who designed them, and can probably help with any questions you might have.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:00 AM

I have a terrible time making accurate HSTs using any kind of ruler.

Am not doing a quilt with lots it HSTs and i'm using Triangles on a Roll paper. I have it in 2, 3, 4, and 5 inch (finished size of triangle).

It's wonderful, easy and my HSTs are no longer wonky. What a relief.

I recommend it. Not too expensive either and tears off like thin foundation paper.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:00 AM

I have used the Jenny Doaks method and love it. I have also drawn a line across the blocks with right sides facing each other and sewn 1/4" each side of the line. Sometimes they come out smaller than I want. Have to start making my blocks bigger and then cut them to size after they are made. I can't afford the expensive rulers that have just one use.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:15 AM

You are right...it is pricey..........but I have 6 other HST rulers and they can slip when you are cutting. This one doesn't. If you check their website you are able to slide the ruler from one end to the other without lifting up the ruler.