Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easiest way to learn to PP??? >

Easiest way to learn to PP???

Easiest way to learn to PP???

Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 AM

try it more than once to get the hang of it.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:15 AM

I am taking an online pp class from Craftsy- work at your own pace, class never expires. I waited for a half price sale on the class. It is excellent! m
Old 03-12-2012, 11:27 AM

I wish I could offer you some help. I read and read the instructions and just could not wrap my brain around it. Then a co-worker showed me how to do it. TA-DUH the lightbulb went on and now I prefer to paper piece. It is really easy, but I learn better by having someone show me how to do it. I "overthink" it sometimes. I have trouble reading instructions and then doing it with any patterns....but if someone can show me, I get it.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 AM

I didn't get all the tutorials and diagrams and instructions in books either. The more I studied it the least sense it made so I took a class at LQS. Absolutely picked it right up and have been hooked ever since! My advice, TAKE A CLASS IN PP! You won't regret it! And no added weight to your next move. Lol
Old 03-12-2012, 12:04 PM

Dont' feel alone, I did the same thing and just didn't get it until someone showed me the way and let me start one piece at a time. It is a Duh moment once you figure it out but there are some things that just don't come across in written words. Just go to your LQS and ask for a brief lesson, I'm sure they'd be happy to accommodate you in this. Good Luck!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks! I have honestly tried before I will take your advise and try again tomorrow since it's getting late tonight. I have been quilting for 10 years, never been interested til this year. I found a quilt I want to make but want to master this first!! Thanks for all the great information!!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:56 PM

Peggy Martin has a class on Craftsy.com called "Quick-Strip Paper Piecing". The easiest method I've seen so far. She gives step by step directions and full patterns are included.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:05 PM

The youtube tutorials are sufficient to get you started I did it from that alone, just jumped right in, don't be afraid you can do it, its not difficult just tedious, you don't need a book because the tutorials on you tube are like taking a class, you can see it visually rather than in pictures in a book. I believe you can do it and that you are just lacking confidence in yourself. just get an easy free pattern from one of the many free websites and put the pedal to the metal

these are the 2 tutorials I have watched
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdYS1hzPX1o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmC62...eature=related
Old 03-12-2012, 04:06 PM

And the add a quarter ruler is awesome buy the way
Old 03-12-2012, 05:21 PM

English PPing was the only quilt method I ever used until I got my ma hine early lSt year... i used to produce one quilt a year!!! i havent done any since... Though now I cant sit and quilt it might be an idea to go again temporaily...

Its really easy.. And its NOT just hexagons..... there isnt a block I cant make using this method... Just draw the block, cut it out wrap the fabric and stitch together.... Its totally addictive... And best of all you can take it anywhere with you..

I love how perfect the lines and points are with it! Far superior to my machine piecing....

There are some really good resources out there, on the interenet, borrow books from your library, or hook up with another local PPer for hints tips and advice...