Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EASY tote bag >

EASY tote bag

EASY tote bag

Old 09-23-2010, 05:36 AM

Does anyone have a good pattern for a very easy tote bag I can make. Please keep in mind that I am a beginner is every means of the word. I have some four inch squares, some pieces of fabric from angels, etc. I do not have many big pieces of fabric. Maybe someone has an idea that is scrappy (which makes it affordable for me) and easy at the same time. I am thinking Christmas gifts.

I also am good at embroidering so maybe something I can put on muslin or cotton would be nice. I will take whatever ideas I can get.

Thank you so much! :D
Old 09-23-2010, 05:44 AM

Sorry, I don't have one to give you, but someone will be along soon with something for you. There are so many very helpful people here! Good luck on your new project. There are many easy ones out there.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 AM

The ones I've made have been from heavier fabrics (denim or home decor fabric) and not quilted, but they could very easily be adapted to your purpose.

I'll try to get a tutorial done for you, but it may be a few days. The actual bag can be easily done in an evening, but getting the instructions stated clearly may take me awhile, since I don't actually have a pattern per se, just figure out how big I want it and sew it up.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:09 AM

I make Bible bags for Christmas for my Bible study buddies, I use placements I get at the Dollar store. Then I embroidery a Bible verse on the outside.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:14 AM

I have made a quilted tote bag out of an orphan block - I just made the quilt sandwich with that block, quilted it, and made and quilted a second of the same size using just plain fabric. Then put the two pieces together, with the pieced side facing out, and sewed them together. To hide the raw edges, I sewed an extra-wide double-fold bias tape all the way around, and around the top. The handles were tubes of fabric turned inside out, and stitched directly onto the body of the tote.

Here's a pic if that will help it make sense.

ETA: I used this tote as a purse/laptop carrier for over a year, and it held up well. It's still functional, i just got a new purse and have been using it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-98987.jpe  
Old 09-23-2010, 06:14 AM

I PM'd you.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

http://mamaspocketbook.com/freebies.htm

This one is a word document, but I really like it if you have word. http://buttonberry.typepad.com/photo...age_final.html

http://www.craftandfabriclinks.com/totebag/totebag.html

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projec...ote-bag_1.html

By googling, here are several that I liked, but there are many more available.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:35 AM

Make it like you would a pillow case. Lining and your fabric right sides together. Sew up 3 sides. Turn inside out. Fold over a 1/4 inch hem on fourth side and sew. Place your straps on the outside, pin and Sew them to fabric. Fold bag in half, sew right sides together. Turn right side out. If you want to add pockets do that before you sew it together.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:21 AM

allpeoplequilt.com is a wonderful sight for free patterns. I go there pretty regular and print out just about anything I like. Good Luck!!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:39 AM

If you google "free bag patterns" you'll get some sites and then can go make your choice. You will find some simple bags that a beginner can make. I have one listed as my favorite and go to it all the time to make tote bags.