Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Economical foundation fabric >

Economical foundation fabric

Economical foundation fabric

Old 07-04-2010, 11:07 AM

I have a friend who always uses muslin for her backings. I use inexpensive muslin (pre-washed & ironed) for foundation piecing. Good ideas.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Said very well. I also agree that many of us are having to decide to buy a less expensive fabric if we want to continue to quilt. For those who can afford the beautiful Moda and similar fabrics, I am so happy for you. At one time I thought nothing of buying the higher cost fabrics and do still enjoy them so much. However, my circumstances have changed drastically, so I am now happy to have pretty fabrics that give me more money for the necessary expenses. There will always be those quilters who do not have to make that choice which is wonderful. We all know that there is such a difference in the feel and quality of fabrics, but sometimes, the desire to create helps us to make the tough decisions so we can continue to create gifts for our love-ones.

It is wonderful that we have such a diverse group of talented ladies who are willing to share their vast knowlege so we can all enjoy this wonderful craft. Thanks to all for sharing your skills.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:18 PM

well said :thumbup:
Old 07-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Polly, great tip! I can usually findold white sheets at the thrift store, too, for not much money.
Lori, I agree with you! Look at all the beautiful Depression era quilts........still here and they used whatever they could!
Funny this came up ... I happened to be at my local Humane Society thrift shop last week when a truck dropped off dozens of queen size sheets from the Hilton hotel downtown. They were the very soft, white on white stripe hotel sheets that feel like silk on your skin. What had happened, the driver said, was that the pressing machine had ripped each of them in one particular spot before the people running it found out what was happening. So they had to dump all the torn ones. The store was packed to the ceilings with all kinds of stuff that day, so the manager just put all the sheets (they were very clean) in big boxes and put a sign on, 50c each. I started looking through and found each rip to be about 3 or 4 inches long and way over on the side of each sheet. So I scooped up about a dozen, took them home and repaired the rips in about 6, and gave them to my daughters. The rest are going to be quilt backs for my newly "economized" quilts. They won't look the same as my former quilts, but they'll have such nice, soft backs, who will care? Necessity is the mother of invention!

:wink:
Old 07-04-2010, 06:19 PM

When my grandfather died, my mother cut up his clothing for quilts. His flannel pajamas were pretty well worn, but I remember seeing her cut them apart and press it out with other like fabric scraps to use for the batting.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:33 PM

When I was a kid I lived with my grandmother and she was always making quilts for us, for my parents, for auntie and her family and uncle too. The church we went to had a basement and the priest we had, Father Ryan, and lots of second hand clothes that he sold for 5 & 10 cents, sometimes 25 cents. Gram would go over there and pick dresses, blouses, etc. Buy a bunch for couple dollars, bring them home, wash them even though they were clean but they weren't Grandma Clean. She would cut those up and make quilts. I still have couple of Gram's quilts and she has been gone now for over 30 years. She wouldn't dream of buying new fabric for quilts as she brought up her little family during the depression era. I think that period is something we are all starting to experience in some form.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:53 PM

Someone needs to start a used fabric store. :) I bet it would work.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:31 PM

I often use 100% cotton bed sheets when I am making string quilts. I've never had any problems using them and can get a whole lot of blocks from a queen size sheet that I've paid only a $1 or 2. I've even used button-up shirts that I've found at thrift shops. I wouldn't call it cheap; I call it recycling.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
I often use 100% cotton bed sheets when I am making string quilts. I've never had any problems using them and can get a whole lot of blocks from a queen size sheet that I've paid only a $1 or 2. I've even used button-up shirts that I've found at thrift shops. I wouldn't call it cheap; I call it recycling.
Exactly the same here. I buy kingsize sheets for a £1 or £2 at my local charity shop, cut them into squares and use them for foundation pieces. Also you may need just a few pieces of a solid colour, I buy mens cotton shirts in all sorts of solid colours ranging from black through to bright and pastel colours. If I go to any jumble sales I always look out for good quality curtains as they make for good backing for quilts and wall hangings, also the curtain linings again come in handy for foundation pieces.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 AM

Bed skirt middle, Can you show us a picture of how you used it for a scrappy quilt?