Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow? >

Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow?

Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow?

Old 10-25-2013, 06:38 AM

I have a hard time understanding her books also. I don't know why but she confuses me.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:14 AM

I love her books, might be you are reading too far ahead, I found it easier to just concentrate on each step at a time and not look too far ahead, but like some of the other comments perhaps you are worrying about your doctors appointment - hope that all goes well

Last edited by janedee; 10-25-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:29 AM

I'm in the confusion club also. I keep buying her books because I like her methods but the two times I used her patterns I was taking classes and had to have classmates/teacher interpret what she was saying in the directions. I love her. I went to a retreat where she was our teacher in one class. We made a runner. In another class we made a Lovers Knot throw using a serger. It came out well but I'd rather stick to my 1/4" seams.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:50 AM

Have never done an Eleanor Burns pattern, but just wanted to wish you good luck at the cardiologist's office! {{{HUGS}}}

Anita
Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I made a Lover's Knot quilt and found reading several times and looking at pictures helped.
Attached Thumbnails 2011-13.jpg   2011-13-closeup.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Evy

Thanks everyone, especially you who posted links and photos. I love both quilts pictured, but have to admit a weakness for the blue one. I will definitely attempt this pattern. It can't be that difficult. By the way, the dr. appt. went very well, meds are working to clear a blockage and I don't even have to go back for 6 months. Now maybe I can concentrate on good things.

Thanks. I really love the people on this board.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Evy

Originally Posted by btiny36 View Post
Try watching this video maybe it will help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ElX7BJx92s Here's someone who struggled with her's http://julie-annsworld.blogspot.ca/2...most-lost.html or go to google there seems to be a wealth of info there. https://www.google.ca/search?q=elean...h=979#imgdii=_ Good luck..I also have this pattern but haven't looked at it.
I just checked out the you tube video. It makes a big difference actually seeing how it's done. With apologies to Ms. Burns, I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by her instructions. When I was first looking at the pattern book, I told my husband it had to be me, she's taught millions of people how to make quilts!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

My Mom always got irritated when she watched her - drove my Mom nuts when she'd toss the scraps/trimmings over her shoulder.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
My Mom always got irritated when she watched her - drove my Mom nuts when she'd toss the scraps/trimmings over her shoulder.
Oh good. I'm not the only one who finds her completely annoying!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:44 AM

Yes I sometimes do have difficulty with her instructions. So far the only one I have found (and I have been quilting for over 10 years) real easy is the log cabin pattern. For your lovers knot, sometimes bow tie, if you can find a book called Quilts from the Quiltmakers Gift there is a good pattern in 3 or 4 different sizes in that book with very easy instructions. This book and it's companion are based on a children's story and I use both of them all the time for their ease of use, multiple sizes and instructions.