Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow? >

Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow?

Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow?

Old 10-26-2013, 03:42 AM

I too find her easy to understand, perhaps because I have watched her TV show so much and know how she thinks.

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I find Eleanor Burns patterns to be one of the easiest to understand. Take you time and read each step and use the visual instructions to clarify any questions. Maybe make a scrap block just going step by step trying not to predict what comes next. Sometimes when I have trouble its because my brain is always two steps ahead and not fully concentrating on the step I am on( or should be on).
Old 10-26-2013, 03:57 AM

She has a very easy way of teaching, but when I'm stressed I have trouble walking up the stairs. Jenny Doan on Missouri Star Quilt is another person I find super easy to understand and follow. Don't be so hard on yourself, relax and take a look at it when you're feeling at ease and I'll bet you'll pick up on it in no time.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:26 AM

My advise would be to find someone you know that has completed this pattern and can "walk" you through the part of her book you don't understand. It might be just some simple thing you are having trouble wrapping your brain around. So many times, something seems way easier, if someone would just explain it in person. Don't feel bad, as it happens to everyone. Sometimes things just need to be explained a different way to be able to be understood. That is how our brain works.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Evy View Post
Thanks everyone, especially you who posted links and photos. I love both quilts pictured, but have to admit a weakness for the blue one. I will definitely attempt this pattern. It can't be that difficult. By the way, the dr. appt. went very well, meds are working to clear a blockage and I don't even have to go back for 6 months. Now maybe I can concentrate on good things.

Thanks. I really love the people on this board.
Thank goodness your appt. went well, that was the more important issue. I too, find Eleanor Burns a little hard to understand sometimes but most importantly I find her voice quite annoying & sometimes I feel like she is talking "down to me" almost in a more superior manner. It's probably just me but I rarely work with her via book or YouTube because of that, IMHO. I did do her Lone Star quilt but with some direction & help from another more experienced quilter & it turned out beautifully.
Sending wishes for continued good health.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:53 AM

She DOES have a different way of doing things, but if you can forget about what you've already learned about how something should be constructed and do it her way, it's no too bad. But everyone does that.. If everything was always constructed the same, no one could sell new books. I don't mind watching her videos, but I do have to turn the sound off.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:58 AM

I think Eleanor is one of the easiest patterns to follow. I did a lovers knot years ago and if memory serves me right it was a little confusing.. but overall most of her instructions seem really easy to follow.. Sorry you are having trouble. I don't know if she has that on u-tube or not.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:58 AM

EB is my "go to." I have given up on most of the other instructors. Just do EB step by step. I read the directions once. Let them sit. Later, I'll read them again and picture in my mind how it will go. Then I read them again before cutting my fabric. It's better for me to do this than to rush in and goof.
I will say that it seems that some of EB's patterns are not written by her...and those I DO sometimes find difficult. Good luck and hope the medical situation is under control.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:01 AM

I retread your original question and you were wondering how many blocks were needed...you understood the block construction. Does she have a section on assembling the quilt? You might find your answer there.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:33 AM

I love Elenor Burns, been through some very tuff times (but who hasn't) but I do love her books, especially the log cabin (my favorite), haven't tried this one but have the book and better get started. thank you for sharing and thank you for sharing the pics, the quilts are beautiful
Old 10-26-2013, 06:16 AM

I am amazed how easy her instructions are. She has made patterns that are quick and accurate.