Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow? >

Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow?

Eleanor Burns-Hard to follow?

Old 10-26-2013, 11:53 AM

I have that pattern, but not from Eleanor Burns. Love seeing it as a quilt, when what I have is a placemat brochure illustration tutorial. I need to get with it. Yours is so pretty. Love the colors you used. I'm looking for a simple 2 or 3 color quilt I can make a 30 plus year old grand daughter. This link below is what I do most of the time, but like to find time for quilts again. Made simple small ones for gg-kids in the pre-doll stage of my life.

www. dollsforverysickkids.com

Vickey Stamps

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
Hmmmm. I find her patterns the easiest of any I have ever made. I made the Lover's Knot and the only problem I had was when I started to put it together and I had to add the side triangles, thought I would not have it right as it was a King Size quilt and my Queen bed would not work well with the layout. How can we help you ? This is not really a hard pattern at all and I would love to help you in anyway. I think you might not have your mind on the quilt as much as being concerned about the doctor's visit. We will all pray for your good health. BTW, my book is very old too, and it worked for me.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:38 PM

I guess everyone has a preference for personality type. I like her style, it's kind of how I act in my classroom!
Old 10-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

I find her patterns very easy to follow...I have several of her books and several patterns. Maybe you are reading beyond the pattern. I hope you can figure it out....Good luck..
Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 PM

I had problems with her log cabin and then realized she was showing the back of the block! LOL. Once I got to that mind set, it was easy peasy.
I hope that your appointment goes well. Having visited my Cardiologist recently, I can understand your concerns. I hope your visit is as uncomplicated as mine turned out to be. Although I still have heart disease, it is under control and he thinks I am doing well.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Evy View Post
Am I the only one who has trouble understanding Eleanor Burns' instructions? I feel like a total idiot. I received the pattern book for her lover's knot quilt and I'm lost just reading the instructions. I totally understand the block construction, but even with the charts cannot determine how many of each block I need. A couple people have posted photos of the lover's knot here on the board and I really love it.
I had the Trip Around the World pattern and totally gave up on that one. I made a TATW and it turned out well, but didn't use her method. In all fairness, I've used her log cabin method and it's great. Maybe I'm just not concentrating. I have an appointment with the cardiologist this morning and that's worrying me a bit. Maybe I'll just take the pattern book and read it on the hour and a half drive to the doctor's office.
Just feeling frustrated I guess!
I started quilting with others instructing me step by step and no patterns. Then I took a class that was teaching an EB pattern. There were a lot of students in the class and the teacher was hopping around to all of us. She couldn't keep up. I was slightly impatient! The saving grace I had was Eleanor's instructions. They were so clear. Since that night in 2005, I have done over 10 quilts patterns from her book. Some times I think she teaches like we are elementary students and then I found out that she was a teacher at one time in her life!
Old 10-26-2013, 02:52 PM

Sorry you are having trouble. For me, she is very easy to follow. In fact, my 9 year old grandaughter likes to watch her. She does talk a little slower which works for me, so I find her easier to understand than some of the other shows.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:58 PM

Evy, I have had the lovers knot book from Eleanor Burns for many years and still cannot understand the instructions.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:14 PM

Eleanor Burns is insulting sounding to me. She talks as if we haven't got the brains to put one foot in front of the other., plus she sounds like she took some strong drugs to m'make her sound sovhappy' which just makes her sound even more fake. I purchased a quilt in a day pattern and the instructions and the fabric provided were nothing like what was described in the instructions. I have to buy more fabric to
finish the quilt because of the screwy instructions.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:16 PM

Eleanor Burns sounds so fake. She talks as if we haven't got the brains to put one foot in front of the other., plus she sounds like she took some strong drugs to make her sound so happy which just makes her sound even more fake. I purchased a quilt in a day pattern and the instructions and the fabric provided were nothing like what was described in the instructions. I have to buy more fabric just to finish the quilt because of the screwy instructions.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:21 PM

Great ideal, go to you tube ,That will help you a lot...