Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Electronic Quilt software questions >

Electronic Quilt software questions

Electronic Quilt software questions

Old 06-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I started out with EQ3. EQ4 and I am currently on EQ5. You might want to check out their site to see what they recommend for what kind of operating system you are currently running on your computer. I am still running Windows XP and I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with designing blocks or quilts. These are hard times financially for some people and I can't afford to upgrade. I was disappointed that I am limited in the number of rows when I designed this Bargello quilt but I still was able to make it work. I have seen post here that Eleanor Burns occasionally has the software on sale much lower prices then anywhere else. Good Luck !!
Attached Thumbnails bargello-wall-quilt-eq.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

I've had EQ ever since it ran on DOS. It was over a $100 back then so the price now doesn't seem that shocking, in fact it's a bargain. EQ7 has the import and trace feature that I use the most. The other feature I use a lot is converting blocks into paper piecing.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:07 PM

If you get EQ7, check online about classes being given at lqs or clubs. This might help. I wanted to take classes but all are about 100 miles from my little farm and timed wrong!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:13 AM

I totally agree with Peckish. I only have EQ6 but it was relatively easy to learn and I have made friends with others who can help me if needed, esp when I am too lazy to wait and search for it myself.

Several quilt camp type events have EQ classes. Though the online tutorials are great.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:07 AM

Here is how you get more blocks into a Quilt Wizard design.

I use a grid of small squares for the whole quilt. So, if I have a block that is 5 patches across and down and I need 6 of them in a row, the grid across would have 30 squares across, and down would be 7 blocks so it would be 35 squares, and make them in the proper size.

In each square, I put the patch needed to make the block. So if I were to make a Sister's choice quilt block, then in the first square I would put my background color, in the second square, I would put an HST (from the block selection) and turn it the right way, then the next square would have a solid block of the fabric color, then the next an HST, turned as needed, then another background block, etc. So, the first row of patches needed to create the SC block, is actually made from the quilt block selection, just in miniature. SAVE AS YOU GO! If you want to make changes, but keep the original design, then change the name of the file before you save it after making the changes.

Basically, I do the design by patches to create the block I want if it is not a choice in QW. When changing block sizes, such as a large star and then two smaller stars, you do the same thing, just use more squares for the bigger star. If the designed quilt is much bigger than you can get into the squared grid, then make 4 different grids, each one consisting of one fouth of the quilt, upper and lower left, and upper and lower right.

Another thing you can do is to choose the right blocks needed, but color them to correctly match the quilt you want to design. Let's say it is a rail fence with 4 rails, but what you need is a block with TWO rectangles. Then you would use the 4 rail block and color the two rails on the left, one color, and the two rails on the right, the other color and it looks like a two patch block.

My QW is on a PC that runs Win2000. It is offline now but I still use it for quilting and saving files for quilting patterns and information.

Diane

Last edited by dmackey; 06-10-2013 at 12:12 AM.