Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Elmer's Glue >

Elmer's Glue

Elmer's Glue

Old 09-24-2015, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am just too chicken with trying to use Elmer's washable glue to baste my quilt.
Try making a 12" quilt sandwich from your ugliest piece of fabric. Visually divide that 12" square into four quarters and apply the glue in various ways mentioned here. Let the glue dry or iron over it with a warm iron. Quilt on it, then, throw it in the washer and dryer and see what you think.

Once you see without danger to a quilt that you have spent hours piecing, I believe you will be hooked.

Tartan, so glad you pushed on and found out how wonderful glue basting is.

Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 09-24-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:13 PM

The Glue bottle you show in the picture does not say Washable. I wonder if this is why you are having a problem.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Power Poster

The earth friendly School Elmer's glue does say in small print...Just as safe, non- toxic, washable. Washing instructions are on the back. I prefer it for gluing bindings since it's clear and now that it washed out of my quilt I will use it for glue basting also.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:53 AM

Thank You Tartan, I've use Elmer's school glue and love it. Also with all the back to school sales I to stocked up on my glue sticks and bottles. I never thought about a roller and tray before. This sounds great. I just picked up the backing for a new 3 panel design wall (I up-cycle a lot of stuff and I was given the panels and told I could have more any time, the panels are light weight and they come with great hanging holes in the top of each panel), I will be able to fold and put up and take down as I want without having to get help (right now I have plans for this to hang in my sewing area in the corner with two panels next to each other and the third panel on the other side of the corner - I'm making one panel with chalk board fabric on the back side, so I can have my client due dates listed along with shopping list for items needed to finish my client items as well as my own). This will also make full time RV'ing with my design wall easy. But I was having trouble with how I was going to get all of my batting glued down (so your roll idea came along at the right time). Thanks again
Old 09-25-2015, 04:05 AM

I picked up 3 large Elmer's glue sticks at Walmart during their before school sales but was not careful enough. Realized later that the glue is purple. I know it dries clear but was wondering about the effects of the colored glue on fabric. Has anyone used the purple glue sticks?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Washable glue washes out, it's not really a glue, just dries stuck to whatever it's on. I use it for applique now too, no need to fuse if I'm stitching around it. Once dry the applique isn't going to move or pucker.
Thank you for this idea to use for applique (on my bucket list to do an applique project).
Old 09-25-2015, 04:12 AM

The washable glue can be thinned with water and applied with a soft paintbrush. I used it for the seamlines on the pieced back of a quilt. Worked fine. I kept it barely moist so it would not bleed through to the front side.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:29 AM

Tartan,your idea is genius! Thanks for sharing. I don't use glue to baste, but this might be worth a go!

Purple glue sticks fade to clear..at least the ones used when I was teaching. So there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by coopah; 09-25-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:37 AM

I use the 505 or another spray glue from Joann's for all my quilts. I may try the Elmer's on a small one in the future. I will also look in Walmart for the glue mentioned by ThreadHead! No more all over pin basting for me!
Old 09-25-2015, 04:49 AM

Glue basting is the only thing I use. I don't spread it over the whole surface. I just squizzle a thin stream in a zig zag motion on the quilt bat and then lay the backing over it and smooth it down. Let it dry and then flip it over and do the same for the front. Never had any problems.
You don't need to think of glue basting as an alternative to spray but rather it is an alternative to pin basting or thread basting. You don't pin or sew everywhere and it works so you don't need to glue everywhere.