Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Elmer's School Glue instead of pinning? Do you really do this?

Absolutely without a doubt I do use it. I've posted my tutorial on using Elmer's Washable School Glue many times. In case you're interested here you go.

http://sandyquilts.blogspot.com/2008...nd-quilts.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
    Hi...I've been reading here and there about some folks using Elmer's School Glue instead of pinning matching seams. Does this really work? Would it be better to use a basting fabric glue?

I'm interested to see if many of you have tried this and if it works.

Basting the seam joins seems like a perfect use of elmers SCHOOL glue. thats the washable stuff. I am going to give that a try. I use it all the time for bindings I always wash my quilts after I have finished as I feel they get dusty and the cat always seems to find whatever my current project is and nap.
    I must stress however you only need a miniscule amount. I take a scrap of paper or fabric out of my garbage can and squirt a pool of glue out. I then take one of my flat head pins and draw a bead on the tip of the pin and place that teeny tiny dot on the binding. I then iron.

a friend told me to try it this way to save time pinning and it works!! just be careful not to use too much or too close to the edge as when it dries it will be stiff and its hard to push needle thru that part of hem. Like some said here put a thin line in and turn bind over and iron it
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

I use glue now all the time. The best use I found for it is when I sew the binding on the front, turn it to the back and then stitch in the ditch from the front. I used to pin a lot to do that, and really didn't like all those pin pricks! LOL Now I press carefully after the binding is on the front to open that seam as wide as I can. You want to be able to see the "ditch" while sewing. Then turn to the back and glue the binding so that it just covers the line of sewing and iron dry. A very thin line or small dots is fine. Glue the corners, too. Then turn to the front and stitch in the ditch. The last quilt I did like that, I missed about an inch in one spot. I guess I didn't get the binding quite far enough over the sewing line.

When I baste my quilts (on my bed), I iron as soon as I have a large area glued. I don't move it until the whole top of the bed area has been glued and ironed (just a touch of the iron on each spot is enough). Then move it around until another area is available. After that side is all glued and ironed, I turn it over and work on the other side. Works slick.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    I'm new to quilting, and became so frustrated when I couldn't get my seams to match. A post on this board convinced me to try the washable glue, and I'll never go back to pins! On my last project I stitched the binding on, folded it over and glued it, then took it on a trip to finish by hand. Not once did I get stuck with a pin, and that binding stayed put! Getting a needle through it wasn't a problem at all. My current project has glued seams, and I glue basted the back & batt to the top. I works great. I'll never quilt without glue again.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

You have all convinced me! I HATE using pins, so I'm looking forward to trying the glue. Thanks!

The flowers and the birds in my avatar were all done with stick glue. There are a lot of little pieces in those flowers and hummingbirds. Even the grass ends were glued down before sewing. I have been using both stick and Elmer's School Glue for years. Sure beats using that spray stuff that has to be superventilated or used outdoors! I use liquid glue dabbed in small amounts to tack a quit to the batting; it can be lifted and reset, always starting form the center and working out. I just did a very complex "dragon" quilt for a Gson going off to college. He designed it and I had it enlarged to 4 feet high and put it together with liquid school glue, then satin stitched the pieces together. I like the liquid better for small work because the stick can pull at the fabric. With the larger pieces you can dab it in places as needed and the stick works great. I always wash my quilts before gifting so any glue stiffness is gone.
    Last edited by Sierra; 01-11-2013 at 08:41 AM.

Going to try this ....

I don't use it for matching seams, but I do use it for basting and I won't do it any other way!

I have used Elmers Glue for a table runner. Worked like a charm! Only next time I won't use so much glue Make sure you use the washable kind.

Blog Entries
    Steady Stitching (post #27) that's a great idea to make a pool of glue & use a flat head pin to apply. I have a tendency to rush & use too much glue. I agree - it only takes a small dot.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
    Hi...I've been reading here and there about some folks using Elmer's School Glue instead of pinning matching seams. Does this really work? Would it be better to use a basting fabric glue?

I'm interested to see if many of you have tried this and if it works.
    All the time, it is my favorite way of getting my seams to match, I like the Elmers school glue ad it washes out & it is very inexpensive. I find that pinning alone sometimes distorts my fabric and I can't get good seam matches.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

When u glue the binding on, can u then sew it down? Will the needle sew through the glue?

Quote Originally Posted by thimblesup View Post
    When u glue the binding on, can u then sew it down? Will the needle sew through the glue?
    I use a very thin line of glue then set it with a hot iron before sewing. No problem.
    Make sure it's washable school glue.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Absolutely without a doubt I do use it. I've posted my tutorial on using Elmer's Washable School Glue many times. In case you're interested here you go.

http://sandyquilts.blogspot.com/2008...nd-quilts.html
    Where do you purchase the tip for the glue as shown in this video?
    Thanks

Wow, I never heard of doing this. doesn't it gum up or cause any problems with the sewing machine?

I also wondered if you use it for matching seams, has anyone had trouble getting it long armed or quilted. I was wondering it caused the thread to shred?
    The Potomac Quilter
    Innova 26 with Lightning Stitch and Autopilot

I, too, am one of the "theys" who use school glue. I buy the kind from dollar General that's 3 bottles for a dollar. I use it to glue my top and bottom to the batting and use it to attach the binding as well. I hate pins and this is so much faster and easier. I've never had a problem washing it out of a finished quilt, table runner, placemat or whatever else I happen to be making. LOVE this method.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by thimblesup View Post
    You won't have any problem with sewing it. Just make sure the glue is dry before you try to sew it. Sharon Schamber has a tutorial on Youtube called "Binding the Angel" that is very informative. She shows you exactly how to do it, even down to perfectly mitered corners.

I use it for matching a pattern for a repeat....works great. Plan to try it with binding next.
    Linda

I have been using the Elmer's Washable School glue for about 2 years now. I use it for both binding and lining up squares prior to sewing. It works great, cuts down on pins and sticking myself, can be removed easily and repositioned and is cheap. I have never had a problem with it. Also, washes out very easily. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileik View Post
    Wow, I never heard of doing this. doesn't it gum up or cause any problems with the sewing machine?
    Regarding "using too much": You have to be reasonable, but it you do use "too much" (and you will every now and then).... well, here is my story: I was gluing the bones on to the membrane of a dragon wing and using a lot of glue (this is about 1 12x24" wing with lots of detailed bones) and a friend said "you sure are using a lot of (Elmer's school liquid) and so I backed off. Less did just as well as more. I pressed it to take out any potential bumps (not sure there would have been some, but....) and sewed, w/o any problem.

I have been using it for years and very rarely pin anything. The secret is to lay a tiny bead of glue within the seam allowance, then place the other fabric on top and 'press' with your iron. it sets it instantly and if you do not like the alignment, you simply pull the two pieces apart and redo. much easier then ripping out stitches. i am also a heavy starch user and to me, elmer's school glue is just another easy to use starch. try it! you will learn to love it almost instantly. Happy sewing!

I use glue all the time for applique. I took an empty Glue Baste It bottle with the needle tip applicator, filled it with glue and baste with a tiny dot of glue. Works like a charm. However, I dont use the higher quality glue like Elmers. I use the cheap white school glue from the Dollar Store. It has a higher water content but is still sticky enough to baste with yet washes out easily and is cheaper than the brand names.
    Quilt outside of the box!

LOL, it's what I asked for Christmas!! My kids know I'm nuts so they didn't bat an eye when I asked for a gallon of Elmer's School Glue for Christmas!!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast