Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elmer's School Glue Really Works!

Elmer's School Glue Really Works!

Thanks to all of you who suggested using it for basting. What a great idea!
    I used it for my sister's quilt and nothing moved the whole time.
    I'm glad I bought a lot of it because it's going to be my new best friend.

Thanks to all!

Yes, it does work!

You can also use to hold stubborn corners on binding. A drop will hold them right in place. Let dry or touch with a hot iron to set.

I think I am the only person in the world that hasn't had success with this method; I'm envious of everyone who uses it with great outcomes...sigh.....lol!

I also love it-especially for basting my quilts. I like to thin it down about 10-15% so it is a bit easier for me to spread. It is so easy to use and keeps the quilt sandwich flexible as I quilt. Washes out so easily.

That is the only way I baste my quilts. And don't forget, the best time to stock up is during the back to school sales. It is always on sale then and will keep until you are ready to use it.

I use the Elmer's glue sticks when I fold over the edges of applique pieces. It's wonderful stuff!
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

I use it to baste my binding to my quilt before I take it to the machine to stitch it down. Saves me from having to pin it, getting pricked by the pins too. I also use it at times when I need to match up stubborn seams. A dab of glue, press with iron and no pinning and I can sew right over it though I try to aim the glue in the seam area so my needle doesn't have to go thru the glue. I've been using Elmer's Glue for years now and when they have the school sales in the early Fall I stock up on Elmer's glue.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    I use it to baste my binding to my quilt before I take it to the machine to stitch it down. Saves me from having to pin it, getting pricked by the pins too. I also use it at times when I need to match up stubborn seams. A dab of glue, press with iron and no pinning and I can sew right over it though I try to aim the glue in the seam area so my needle doesn't have to go thru the glue. I've been using Elmer's Glue for years now and when they have the school sales in the early Fall I stock up on Elmer's glue.
    Oh for binding too- great idea!

Blog Entries
    Love my Elmer’s...especially the glue stick!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    My only wish is that they were narrower! Love them, too.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Thanks to all of you who suggested using it for basting. What a great idea!
    I used it for my sister's quilt and nothing moved the whole time.
    I'm glad I bought a lot of it because it's going to be my new best friend.

Thanks to all!
    Ok, I am going to have to try this method. I once did use glue on a binding years ago, it worked fine. I have just always hated the smell of glue. But it sure would be cheaper than 505 Temporary Adhesive Spray (which has always worked great for me - but it definitely costs more than glue).

Did you just squeeze from the bottle and drizzle all over? How long did you wait for it to dry (and do I need to iron over it before starting to quilt)? Or if you thinned it out, what type of bottle did you use?
    Dawn

I too like using Elmers. I used it on a small quilt a few years ago, and it was several months before I got it quilted. The glue had turned brownish! I was in tears, but decided to finish it up anyway. To my delight, the glue washed out just fine, and left no brownish spots. I'm a believer!

I too learned about the elmer's glue here on the quilting board. Its great and much more budget friendly

I buy my glue in the gallon jugs from Amazon. Then I put in smaller glue bottles - about 2/3 glue to 1/3 water. Then I shake the bottle well and just squeeze from the bottle as needed

Remember you want Elmer's washable school glue or wash glue stick. I have used it and set it with my hot iron as I want to keep sewing.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
    I think I am the only person in the world that hasn't had success with this method; I'm envious of everyone who uses it with great outcomes...sigh.....lol!
    You aren't alone. I tried it a couple of times and just had a big mess.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II, Singer Treadle

http://craftypat.blogspot.com/

Ruby and Pat- sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I have no idea why. What I did was drizzle it on sparingly but making sure to catch the whole quilt. I let it set overnight. No problems at all and it washed right out.
    ETA- some people dilute it too. Maybe I'll try that next time.

Love it also. I purchased the thin tips from Sharon Schambers site. They work really well to keep from using too much.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    Ruby and Pat- sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I have no idea why. What I did was drizzle it on sparingly but making sure to catch the whole quilt. I let it set overnight. No problems at all and it washed right out.
    ETA- some people dilute it too. Maybe I'll try that next time.
    Yep, I was disappointed to, I really wanted it to work as it looks so quick, easy and secure but I am now quite happy sitting up at my table using Sharon Schambers board basting method. I actually find it very relaxing even if it is time consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
    Did you just squeeze from the bottle and drizzle all over? How long did you wait for it to dry (and do I need to iron over it before starting to quilt)? Or if you thinned it out, what type of bottle did you use?
    I put my bottle of glue in a bowl of hot tap water for a few minutes before using. It comes out like a spider web and is so fast! I drizzle it in a grid pattern.

I always iron the back to the batting after the glue. If the top doesn't have any markings that would be affected with an iron, I iron the top too. Otherwise I just leave it on a large flat table until it dries. It doesn't take long. If you can leave it overnight, it would be totally dry.

If I wanted to thin it, I would use a partially-used bottle of glue and add water to it. The tips that Sharon Schamber sells for the glue bottles work really well. However, Elmers has changed the tops on some of their newer bottles. If you have one of their older bottles and use Sharon's tips, don't throw it out. Just keep refilling it.

Blog Entries
    I will never use a pin again. This technique really works. just a small dot on those points you don't want to lose. Holding a long seam together as you sew, both sides of binding, curves, mini quilts, the list of uses goes on and on. I even use it to hold that first piece of fabric in place when PPing.

I buy it by the gallon and keep refilling several bottles for each pressing station I have.

For basting, I thin it down until it is like cream and sprays through a spray bottle. Have to do trial and error to get it right a few times but then, wow!. It will wrinkle a bit and just press them out while still damp, before quilting.
    Last edited by ube quilting; 12-15-2018 at 05:38 AM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
    Yep, I was disappointed to, I really wanted it to work as it looks so quick, easy and secure but I am now quite happy sitting up at my table using Sharon Schambers board basting method. I actually find it very relaxing even if it is time consuming.

Her basting method is terrific and I agree it is relaxing and methodical and that is a lot of what quilting is about. The time spent doing it is not wasted time either. It is time to reflect, plan and be in a calm state of mind for a while. It gets us away from the busy rigors of everything else going on in our busy lives.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I use Elmer's school glue for basting all my quilts. I bought a good quality silicone basting brush to use to spread it on my batting. The silicone is easy to clean and no bristles to come out. I start in the middle and smooth toward each end one end at a time. If you have the Quilter SlideLock then it's perfect to smooth the quilt! A member here posted that tip and it's wonderful.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Kitsie, I bought the tips from Roxanne Glue Baste-It, it comes with its own bottle and you can refill it using the Elmer's Glue. Puts out a fine line of glue instead of globs.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    I’ve only used Elmer’s for binding...I’ll have to give basting a try.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Sharon schamber had a video on you tube showing how she uses Elmer’s glue for her quilts...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast